Tank Journal Archive

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
... if i ever wanted to change the tubing for whatever reason using JG would have been nice and simple change over, PVC not so simple...
With a bit of planning and bunch of unions or threaded adaptors you can make a setup that is pretty easy to alter. If you buy a spare union or two you can even setup a simple water change system where you just undo the union on the bottom of the overflow and fit another section that runs to a drain hose or another section that can run to a chiller or a reactor that you dont use all the time. Whatever you want...

Mr.Reeefer

my name is Brock
Jul 8, 2014
With a bit of planning and bunch of unions or threaded adaptors you can make a setup that is pretty easy to alter. If you buy a spare union or two you can even setup a simple water change system where you just undo the union on the bottom of the overflow and fit another section that runs to a drain hose or another section that can run to a chiller or a reactor that you dont use all the time. Whatever you want...
Hi vault,

I'll have a look into unions and thread adapters, thanks for the info, I'm pretty plumbing illiterate, I have plumbed all my tanks thus far, and they have worked out ok, but there is definatley allot of room for improvement on quality parts and design to make things easier.

This new tank will have a whole drilled in the back about 1/3 from the top for water changes, so it will be as simple as, put the hose in the drain and open the tap to empty water, and put the hose from the IBC into sump and open the tap and turn on returns to fill. I like the sound of that!!!:)

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
On the 250, with how the tank is modified, if i turn off the return pumps, it acts as a siphon and drains way too much water into the sump which will make the sump overflow ...
Are you able to sleep at night :p

You just need to drill a small hole in your return pipe, just below the water line, which will break the syphon when the water level drops in the tank.