Tank Journal Archive

jart

Apr 10, 2015
Plumbing
As per the photo below my tank has a weir in the back left corner. It is bottom drilled with 4 holes.

ai18.photobucket.com_albums_b137_jshowyin_Fish_20Pics_20__20Sh6d4abc3697b8f7a7b5be4c6054ddb02a.jpg

The previous owner had it set up as a Durso standpipe (25mm) with an emergency drain (20mm), plus 2 returns (15mm) running off a single return pump.

I will be switching things up a bit - Herbie setup with the siphon on the 20mm and the emergency on the 25mm. From what I have read the throughput of a 20mm siphon will far exceed a 25mm durso and the consensus seems to be that the emergency drain should be the larger of the two pipes. Chosen Herbie setup as I already had two holes and didn't want to do any glass drilling, plus once setup properly from everything I have read the Herbie setup will be quieter, safer and more stable.

A little undecided about the returns. The dual return setup is quite cool, but I am wondering whether I will be better served by using one of the two return holes for a water change drain that will double as a way to remove the bulk of the detritus that ends up in the bottom of the weir. This should also simplify the plumbing somewhat (no need to split return plumbing coming off the pump, no need to find a place to tee off a water change drain).

If I went with the above idea I would have a ball valve under the bulkhead, then a length of flexible tubing, then another sort of inline valve as a secondary safeguard against water spilling everywhere.

Any thoughts on the above? I am still a reefing newbie and this is the first time I have had to do any plumbing, so any constructive criticism or share wisdom is very welcome.

jart

Apr 10, 2015
Think I have made my decision about the plumbing setup. Still open to advice from anyone who has more experience at tank plumbing than me = pretty much everyone! :)

As mentioned, 4 holes in my weir - 1 x 25mm, 1 x 20mm, 2 x 15mm. Going Herbie.

25mm - emergency drain, sitting approx 1/2-1" below the top of the weir - straight through, no ball valve

20mm - full siphon pipe, sitting approx 6" below emergency drain, strainer on top, ball valve underneath for tweaking

15mm - return pipe, ball valve to control flow from pump

15mm - bulkhead only with strainer, to be used clear detritus from the bottom of the weir or for minor water changes (thinking 10L in the weir itself, plus approx 5-10L from the part of the return pump compartment in the sump that is pumped into the tank before the compartment runs low - is my thinking correct or flawed on this second part?)

Have sorted most of the plumbing. Just need to cut down pipes for the emergency/siphon and source some strainers and return hose.