IMG_1812.JPG
IMG_1816.JPG
IMG_1820.JPG

She's. Had her 4 days 50% 1200lt
3 days 75% 1800lt
Dt remaining 650lt sump 800lt
Tomorrow morning
Hoping to move all stock over Friday / sat
Very excited although I am having bloody nightmares about this tank breaking too
It has become a real fear
IMG_1856.JPG

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
It is really starting to look serious with the water.

I am curious how you will handle your water circulation.
We now have a plan for the water flow for mine, but I would appreciate inputs from the group, before the concrete is poured next week, and i sign off on the tank layout with plumbing.
Plan :- 1. overflow into the center overflow box, with 3 x 40mm pipes, into the basement and sump. The return will punch through the floor of the overflow box, then into a manifold to split into 4 20mm outlets.

2. A separate closed loop system, drawing from the tank, and punching through the floor of the overflow box, up to over the water level, and splitting into a bar the length of the tank, with 4 outlets returning water from the surface.

I am not sure this will be the most practical.
I have attached 3 images to try to explain.

Suggestions, comments or violent reactions welcome.
Jac

Attachments

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013

We now have a plan for the water flow for mine, but I would appreciate inputs from the group, before the concrete is poured next week, and i sign off on the tank layout with plumbing.
Plan :- 1. overflow into the center overflow box, with 3 x 40mm pipes, into the basement and sump. The return will punch through the floor of the overflow box, then into a manifold to split into 4 20mm outlets.

2. A separate closed loop system, drawing from the tank, and punching through the floor of the overflow box, up to over the water level, and splitting into a bar the length of the tank, with 4 outlets returning water from the surface.

Jac
Might be best starting a specific thread regarding your flow
I don't know if you will get many answers here on this one ?
We are running xf 280's with a Vectra 11,600lt return pump
All fairly standard stuff
Nothing out of the ordinary
Unfortunately

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong

Jac
yeah start a thread specifically asking this question, but I'd be going closed loop every day of the week on tank that size. Return pump alone will not be suffice flow

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
Thanks guys..again, excuse my ignorance with threads and forums.
What, where , how to best start a new Thread ? In the Forums section ?​
Yup go to Journals and the Large Reef Tank section and create a new Journal. That way all your tanks details are in the one spot. Makes it easier for you to keep track of everything and easy for us to find all the nitty details of your build! :)

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Tks Lesley , Sam for your inputs re circulation.
The overflow box to sump and return is clear. The final decision I need to make is for the internal water circulation. The plan is to use a separate pump, Closed Loop , which will draw water from the tank, from 2 40mm pipes punched through the riser of the step-down. Then join under the tank, into 1 50mm pipe, down to the basement, through the pump, and back to tank. It punches through the overflow box to above water level, and will be split into a left and a right side of the tank, with various nozzles each side.
Attached the updated, final tank size and design, showing the step down.

Attachments

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
We plan to use variable speed DC pumps, so there should be more than enough water flow being created.
We plan for an actuator valve (marked X) to split flow either left, or right, or both.
Hope the attached mud map shows it clearly.

Attachments

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
I am just trying to do a self imposed reality check, before I pull the trigger.
The logic for the closed loop is , pump is in the basement, so no noise, easy to service and change if needed, and no wires in the tank for the usual smaller MP 20 pumps, and them not needing to be visible attached to the sides of the tank.
My concern was maintenance, especially the intakes, in case of clogging from fish, snails etc.. but we can set a weekly reverse thrust to make sure they never get clogged.
Thats the theory, but I am putting it out there, for your comments, suggestions or alternate s.
Jac