Tank Journal Archive

Nicksy23

Apr 14, 2013
Adelaide
Post 6: Skimming, Salted, Apex Where Are You?
Not long now and the Apex i ordered should arrive which will enable me to adjust salt levels, get the PH where it should be and then launch into the Cycling Process.

Cant wait to get things cranked up and begin adding Rock.
Does anyone have any advice for which way to go with regard to Rock, Live or Dried ?? My only concern with Live Rock is bringing in unwanted critters like what happened to me last time, where after a year or so i noticed a few fish going missing. Turned out a lovely crab was running a muck!

These photos and hopefully videos are just to show where things are at. Enjoy and PLEASE send through ideas and thoughts.
Cheers

P.S Let me know if the video works ???????
IMG_3177.JPG
IMG_3174.JPG
IMG_3175.JPG

Attachments

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
could always go live rock in sump and base rock in tank. Then the live rock will eventually populate the main rock with pods etc and you can mostly contain nuisance macro or aptasia to your sump.

oh and video didn't work for me :(

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
I agree. If you are really concerned about critters, live rock in sump and base in tank. Aren't the critters what make marines extra fun? Or painful depending on your point of view!!

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
Not long now and the Apex i ordered should arrive which will enable me to adjust salt levels, get the PH where it should be and then launch into the Cycling Process.

Cant wait to get things cranked up and begin adding Rock.
Does anyone have any advice for which way to go with regard to Rock, Live or Dried ?? My only concern with Live Rock is bringing in unwanted critters like what happened to me last time, where after a year or so i noticed a few fish going missing. Turned out a lovely crab was running a muck!

These photos and hopefully videos are just to show where things are at. Enjoy and PLEASE send through ideas and thoughts.
Cheers

P.S Let me know if the video works ???????View attachment 21467 View attachment 21465View attachment 21466
omg what heater is that? LOVE IT..MUST HAVE IT!

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Fantastic job - love how clean a new setup is.

Go either 2nd hand rock from someone shutting their tank down (risk here is pests, although the bigger risk could be bound PO4) or dry rock and some live rock to seed it. If you do go this route either RowaPhos or Lath can remove it easily enough so don't stress to much.

Don't worry about pests - just set traps while the tank cycles. If there are any crabs/Mantis/etc they would love a tasty whitebait or something and without livestock it should be really easy to get them out.

You can't bet the diversity you get with really good quality live rock.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
I too was not sure on base or live rock, went the live rock route. Wen't for fresh new live rock too. No bound P04, chock full of life and the nasty's will give me something to do for 4-6weeks whilst I let it cycle :)

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
I too was not sure on base or live rock, went the live rock route. Wen't for fresh new live rock too. No bound P04, chock full of life and the nasty's will give me something to do for 4-6weeks whilst I let it cycle :)
If it's true fresh rock straight from the ocean - they are not nasties - they are part of a overall bigger picture called nature that we don't fully understand. We just find them "undesirable" in our glass boxes.;)
I believe the benefits LR will give you far outweigh the effort of removing anything we don't want.

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
I plan on getting a 20kg box to split between my 2 10ft systems just to introduce a good balance of critters. second hand rock is great but you can't beat the diversity @macca_75 is spot on with that. It's the diversity that will allow your tank to be quickly established and balanced. To compare, it's taken me a good year to get my diversity back after moving house by adding a few new pieces of new live rock into the tank.

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
I've got lots of rock already :) That, and I can't afford to spend 2k on rock. I've probably got 100-150kgs already, plus I need to dismantle my DT as it's got too much rock in it. And there will be plenty of frag tiles and such going in. (sorry to hijack your thread @Nicksy23 )

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
For me the benefits of live rock outweigh any drawbacks by far. To keep "relatively" pest free, putting good live rock in your sump and dead marine rock in your tank makes sense. However you need to realise that the rock in your tank is going to take at least 6 months minimum* to populate properly with bacteria so you're in for a long cycle before you can safely add fish. Do you have the patience? :eek

You will also miss out on most of the beneficial rock dwellers in your tank such as fan worms, bristle worms, spaghetti worms, sponges, etc.

*Suggest you read this article by Eric Borneman.

Love your build by the way.:worship