Tank Journal Archive

E

ezza

Post Surgery Update
I forgot to update y'all on my back. I had surgery on the 30th of April. It was an ALIF- Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion. The doctor decided that for the maximum stability it would be better than just a disc replacement. There's a cage in the disc space and the L5/S1 vertebrae are fused together so eventually they will become one. It was major surgery, needing a vascular surgeon as well as my neurosurgeon to ensure the arteries to my lower half were not affected. In short- the surgery worked fabulously and amazingly well.

I was in hospital for 5 days. At 2 days I could get up and walk around. I was on some heavy medications. Once we got home I rested a lot and pottered around at home. This week I've been able to drive and have been trying to walk as much as possible.

I can walk like I used to. I feel so different to how I've felt over the last year. It's weird. I just feel like me. I can do things. I can go places. My strength needs work, but I will get there.

I will probably go back to work in a week or so. My half pay period ends then.

If not for the help and support given by all of you guys here, coordinated by @Sam Parker... I never would have been able to go to all the appointments that led to the surgery, and honestly... I probably wouldn't have been able to push myself through it mentally. The love you've given to me has carried me through an exhausting period of my life.

My aquarium has been my focal point for these months, a glorious distraction from the pain.

<3

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Thats so good to hear Ezza, behave yourself. My boss has a back injury and on his good days he is unstoppable. I meet up with him to unload the van and he starts lugging things around so that I don't have to do it on my own. Nearly gives me a heart attack - so BE GOOD!! And enjoy your improved health :)

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
I'm overjoyed to hear the good news honey :) :) I'm so glad that everything is slowly working out, I know what it's like when nothing good happens and then suddenly there's a break in it all, live it up!!

Keep going strong :)

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Fantastic news, so happy for you and it must be a huge relief for your beautiful family as well. congrats.
P.S how did your new fish work out from Dave ?

E

ezza

Fantastic news, so happy for you and it must be a huge relief for your beautiful family as well. congrats.
P.S how did your new fish work out from Dave ?
You should check the thread about the fish... It's been ridiculous. Never again.

newbiereef

Nov 8, 2011
gracemere
one word of advise for you that i got when i started in this hobby

TAKE IT SLOWLY

don't rush take your time let your body dictate the terms to you. if you are aching slow down. take one step at a time.