Reef Discussion

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Powdered Suppliments
Hey Everyone,

I was looking to change over from red sea supplements to something a bit more economical, just wanted to see what everyone is using at the moment and how they are finding it.

I was thinking of trying 100% reef safes stuff. $3.5/kg seems a lot better than $35 but if its crap its not really that great is it.

awww.fcpcompounding.com_wp_content_uploads_2015_02_powder.jpg

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I use it and and it does exactly what it is supposed to do.
I mix it with rodi and hook it up to the auto doser. Surely the red sea is the same stuff in a bottle?
Does the red sea product do anything else apart from raising parameters?

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
no, only benefit seems to be the calcium has strontium in it as well. I buy the powders and mix it up already as I go through about 7kg a year, which in terms of premixed bottles would just be insane.

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
I believe the Red Sea alkalinity supplement (the powder made into a stock solution) also increases Alk more per ml dosed than the mixed solution of Sodium bicarbonate.
And like you said the Calcium also including strontium.
But difference in price per Kg is insane, after my current batch of Red Sea is used up I'll be switching over to.

Azfish

Sep 23, 2011
Sydney
whatever happened to just using bicarb for alk and damprid for calc? throw in some epsom for mag and the main 3 are covered ...

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Bi Carb I am cool with, damp rid I have steered off since its gone pink and gets that heavy precipitate after mixing. Straight Epson (magnesium sulphate)you get the chloride/sulphate imbalance so need to source some magnesium chloride to mix in or do lot of water changes (which you know i never do)

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
I do love kalk for the phosphate binding effect but down sides have always been the volume you go through and with carbon dosing I use disproportionate alk and still need to dose that.

If I had more room under the cabinet id probably do it but I cannt be arsed mixing up batches twice a week or adding a reactor.