Powdered Suppliments

Discussion in 'Additives' started by NiCd, Apr 10, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. NiCd

NiCd Lead Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,680
    Australia
    State:
    NSW
    Hey Everyone,

I was looking to change over from red sea supplements to something a bit more economical, just wanted to see what everyone is using at the moment and how they are finding it.

I was thinking of trying 100% reef safes stuff. $3.5/kg seems a lot better than $35 but if its crap its not really that great is it.

awww.fcpcompounding.com_wp_content_uploads_2015_02_powder.jpg
  2. Buddy

Buddy Member

Ratings:
    +2,587
    Australia
    State:
    VIc
    I use it and and it does exactly what it is supposed to do.
    I mix it with rodi and hook it up to the auto doser. Surely the red sea is the same stuff in a bottle?
    Does the red sea product do anything else apart from raising parameters?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. NiCd

NiCd Lead Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,680
    Australia
    State:
    NSW
    no, only benefit seems to be the calcium has strontium in it as well. I buy the powders and mix it up already as I go through about 7kg a year, which in terms of premixed bottles would just be insane.
  4. Mattres

Mattres Member

Ratings:
    +400
    Australia
    State:
    SA
    I believe the Red Sea alkalinity supplement (the powder made into a stock solution) also increases Alk more per ml dosed than the mixed solution of Sodium bicarbonate.
    And like you said the Calcium also including strontium.
    But difference in price per Kg is insane, after my current batch of Red Sea is used up I'll be switching over to.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Azfish

Azfish Member

Ratings:
    +293
    Australia
    State:
    NSW
    whatever happened to just using bicarb for alk and damprid for calc? throw in some epsom for mag and the main 3 are covered ...
    • Like Like x 1
  6. NiCd

NiCd Lead Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,680
    Australia
    State:
    NSW
    Bi Carb I am cool with, damp rid I have steered off since its gone pink and gets that heavy precipitate after mixing. Straight Epson (magnesium sulphate)you get the chloride/sulphate imbalance so need to source some magnesium chloride to mix in or do lot of water changes (which you know i never do)
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Azfish

Azfish Member

Ratings:
    +293
    Australia
    State:
    NSW
  8. Azfish

Azfish Member

Ratings:
    +293
    Australia
    State:
    NSW
    One too many beers how does one spell kalkwasaer when drinking and typing on a phone....
    • Funny Funny x 3
  9. NiCd

NiCd Lead Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,680
    Australia
    State:
    NSW
    I do love kalk for the phosphate binding effect but down sides have always been the volume you go through and with carbon dosing I use disproportionate alk and still need to dose that.

If I had more room under the cabinet id probably do it but I cannt be arsed mixing up batches twice a week or adding a reactor.
    • Like Like x 1