Tank Journal Archive

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
Progress
Well, just a general progress post. Im going to say that my tank is looking really good. However I might get rid of a couple of things to make room for some different stuff.
I have also added. A cleaner wrasse (eating mysis), a nice mushroom leather, although slightly bleaching in the middle, I think it will come good quite quickly, a new nem as the other one did die, this guy has plenty of colour and stickiness to it, it is currently hiding in the rocks.
I will also be getting a ro filter sometime this week and as soon as I do I'll be performing a few water changes to hopefully bring the levels of phos down.
1399787961241.jpg

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
How long has your tank been up and running ? What is your phos readings. ?

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
It is now 5 months or so old, cycled for a month or so before i added anything to it.
My phos reading comes up as .36 on the red sea test kit, but it keeps reading that regardless of what im testing, so i think the test kit is out of whack, but i dont think my phos is too high, but it is still higher than it should and that is why i have some serious algae.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
It is now 5 months or so old, cycled for a month or so before i added anything to it.
My phos reading comes up as .36 on the red sea test kit, but it keeps reading that regardless of what im testing, so i think the test kit is out of whack, but i dont think my phos is too high, but it is still higher than it should and that is why i have some serious algae.
I use the Hanna phos test kit. It is amazingly accurate and you get a digital reading. I would be worried about putting a nem into such a young tank. Do you know why the other one died ?

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
The other one was majorly bleached when I got it
OH, well that wouldn't have helped.
If you look at all the research and forum chat about nems the consensus seem to be only add them to a tank that is at least 12 months old. I hope this one survives, if it doesn't maybe reconsider getting another until you tank is a bit more matured and settled. I wish you luck. I still learn new things every day. Thats why this forum is so good. Experienced reefers helping us newbies. lol I am a relative newbie too only been doing this for 13 months myself. It is worth it in the end.

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
Right, if anyone wants to try it. I just fed my tank ocean plankton, the cleaner wrasse went nuts for it, if you are having trouble feeding one, I suggest giving it a go because this one definitely enjoyed it.