Tank Journal Archive

dimitri

Aug 15, 2015
Purify My Water
So, my tap water isn't the best & we havent installed a zip tap yet, its collecting dust (the wife wanted a fancy sink in the kitchen and that resulted in no zip tap)

Until i renovate the laundry and stick it in there I was wondering if anyone had any experience ordering from these guys

https://shop.rowater.com.au/industrial/

and is a ZipTap quality going to be micky mouse enough?

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Zip water would be like Britta water filter.... Makes water soft in other words removes carbonate hardness.

It's a de ionising membrane with carbon added to remove taste. Prob good for 1500 cups of coffee and not a long term marine water filter solution.

I installed 80 Zip G4 boiling /chilled water units this year and would not use it for a fish tank - for $100 on ebay you will find an RO unit.
My RO unit membrane is ten years old and still good - only changed out the pre filters and DI cartridge when TDS gets to 0.05

Last edited:

KoNP

Jan 5, 2015
Get some from PSIfilters, they're awesome, fast shipping, good prices and good after sales support.

I started with this one: http://www.psifilters.com.au/revers...tems/di-reef-systems/PSI-019B-DI#.VgEXnd-qpBc

And I've recently purchased this one: http://www.psifilters.com.au/revers...s/di-reef-systems/PSI-020B-DI-GM#.VgEXn9-qpBc

Because of the low waste as well as the refillable DI resin.

If you're strapped for cash or wanting a good deal, I'm amenable to selling you the first one I linked to. There's nothing at all wrong with it, I just wanted an upgrade. It's worked flawlessly since the day I got it and it's easy to service/replace the cartridges.

If you're interested, PM me and we can work something out.

dimitri

Aug 15, 2015
awesome advice guys I will pick something up when I get close to re-doing the laundry.

Uvbeentangoed

Sep 28, 2015
awesome advice guys I will pick something up when I get close to re-doing the laundry.
Hey there, I keep freshwater tropical fish and have had a tank setup with an ocean free Hydra 30 internal filter for around 2 years.
I originally purchased it as when I bought a 2nd hand tank and fish etc the original biological filter bacteria had died and therefore the fish were looking rather unhappy.
Installed the Hydra 30 and I still have the fish today alive and well. Also just this month I added 5x angel fish and 3x emporer tetras and all are looking good.
I purchased another Hydra 30 filter just this week, it's a different design to the original and looks cheap, but if it performs as well as my original then I have nothing to worry about.
One thing that I find rather strange is that it is very hard to
Find this filter etc online or anywhere in the UK.
With the success I've had with my filter I thought they would have been mainstream and on everyone's shopping list by now.
Makes me wonder what exactly this technology is and if it's having problems being approved for use here in the UK.
Also the fact they have changed the filter design and made it look cheaper now including packaging etc cannot help market the product.
However going by the original Hydra30 I own I'm very happy with it and it's still going strong, I've never yet replaced the Hydra pure cartridge either and all water permitted etc are still fine. Happy fish

KoNP

Jan 5, 2015
Hey there, I keep freshwater tropical fish and have had a tank setup with an ocean free Hydra 30 internal filter for around 2 years.
I originally purchased it as when I bought a 2nd hand tank and fish etc the original biological filter bacteria had died and therefore the fish were looking rather unhappy.
Installed the Hydra 30 and I still have the fish today alive and well. Also just this month I added 5x angel fish and 3x emporer tetras and all are looking good.
I purchased another Hydra 30 filter just this week, it's a different design to the original and looks cheap, but if it performs as well as my original then I have nothing to worry about.
One thing that I find rather strange is that it is very hard to
Find this filter etc online or anywhere in the UK.
With the success I've had with my filter I thought they would have been mainstream and on everyone's shopping list by now.
Makes me wonder what exactly this technology is and if it's having problems being approved for use here in the UK.
Also the fact they have changed the filter design and made it look cheaper now including packaging etc cannot help market the product.
However going by the original Hydra30 I own I'm very happy with it and it's still going strong, I've never yet replaced the Hydra pure cartridge either and all water permitted etc are still fine. Happy fish
That's nice. Freshwater fish have different husbandry requirements to marine. In addition, things like inverterbrates and corals are much more sensitive to pollutants in the water than the fish, and especially freshwater fish.

A filter that works for a freshwater tank isn't necessarily going to work for a marine tank.

Additionally, we're not talking about an in-tank filter. We're talking about a device for purifying the water that comes out of a wall tap.

Uvbeentangoed

Sep 28, 2015
That's nice. Freshwater fish have different husbandry requirements to marine. In addition, things like inverterbrates and corals are much more sensitive to pollutants in the water than the fish, and especially freshwater fish.

A filter that works for a freshwater tank isn't necessarily going to work for a marine tank.

Additionally, we're not talking about an in-tank filter. We're talking about a device for purifying the water that comes out of a wall tap.
As far as I was aware you were talking about oceans free
Equipment and Hydra pure technology unless I was mistaken.
I'm fully aware that marine tanks etc are more complex etc, but I too was finding it difficult to find info. Etc on the Hydra pure technology etc
And was merely pointing out that I have run a hydra pure filter for around two years with no set backs. Whether it be internal, external, inline. It's the same technology