Reef Discussion

Wazza22

Oct 3, 2015
Perth
Qt Hyposalinity Scare
Hi Guy's,
So i currently have a Yellow Tang, Yellow Eye Kole Tang, Chocolate Tang (Acanthurus pyroferus), Midas Blennie and a Royal Gramma in a 75L QT tank.
It's 3 weeks in and 2 weeks into HypoSalinity, on friday i did a 20L water change of water i had previously mixed up (NSW and RO/DI) to 1.009 SG (or so i thought).
Last night on returning home from work my Royal Gramma was sucked up to the intake grill of a small powerhead and upon releasing him from this situation he was completely listless floating at the bottom of the tank struggling to stay upright.
Needles to say in a panic i got the obvious test kits out and went though the motions. All came back fine so i pulled the refractometer out and BAM 1.005 :eek But how could this be :mad:
I quickly added some NSW and got it to 1.010 SG, sat and prayed (well not really but if i was religious i would have prayed the heck out of it). By 10pm he didn't show signs of improvement but by the same token the wasn't looking worse.
This morning i was loathe to look into the tank but knew i had too so ... What the ... here he is darting around :D
And tonight upon getting home he is still looking like his normal self.
Still a bit confused as to how i did this but i think i have either not mixed the drum up well enough and just lucked out on the sample i got or, and this is more likely as i shook the bejesus out of the drum, i mixed up the drum of Hypo and a drum of just RO/DI so my QT got the Fresh water and my ATO got the Hypo water. I didn't test the salinity of QT after the water change :( (will be marking them in future)
I have looked online for symptoms of fish exposed to SG to low but cant find anything other than "it's not good for them"
I had already read this and accepted that 1.009 SG was the absolute minimum i could go to and going under was totally on me (even if unintended).
Just wanted to share my experience (and vent at myself as the wife just doesn't get it).

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Was the new water at temp when tested ?
Before added ?
Temp effects the salinity ?

Glad he's well and looking good
Well done to you

Wazza22

Oct 3, 2015
Perth
Was the new water at temp when tested ?
Before added ?
Temp effects the salinity ?

Glad he's well and looking good
Well done to you
Most definitely not at temp when tested, i'd say the water out of tap here in Perth can be @ 30c plus easy (and on the hot days it gets hotter than the heated water) and the RO/DI unit isnt going to lower that any
As it was sitting for a week i would imagine the temp would have settled by the time it was added and would have been room temp at around 26c. I didn't test it again before adding, or test the tank after adding it as i just assumed i was adding 1.009sg water, learn from that one.
I do remember this now you bring it up. Will have to research a bit about what affects it can have

Yeah he is feeding fine and back to his normal chirpy self, thanks

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Most definitely not at temp when tested, i'd say the water out of tap here in Perth can be @ 30c plus easy (and on the hot days it gets hotter than the heated water) and the RO/DI unit isnt going to lower that any
As it was sitting for a week i would imagine the temp would have settled by the time it was added and would have been room temp at around 26c. I didn't test it again before adding, or test the tank after adding it as i just assumed i was adding 1.009sg water, learn from that one.
I do remember this now you bring it up. Will have to research a bit about what affects it can have

Yeah he is feeding fine and back to his normal chirpy self, thanks

It's definitely interesting water weighs 8.78 pounds per gallon at room temperature 70 degrees as temperature increases water weighs less because the density is different less molecules per million throws off the salinity as well as specific gravity when mix with the same amount of salt