Tank Journal Archive

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Quick Iphone Pics
Due to the time I got home last night, I haven't had a chance to take some proper pictures yet, but here are a couple of quick snaps of the tank and the custom frag rack.

Room for a lazy 400 frags (plus the entire base of the tank which will be kept for zoos) should keep me going for a while :)

IMG_4828.JPG
IMG_4829.JPG

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Hopefully I should be able to help contribute some really nice goodies into it! :)
Looks fantastic mate!!

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
picked up most of the plumbing at lunch today, FYI it is worth getting access to a trade account at plumbing stores the discount was like 68%...... :O

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
How did I miss this thread? Any updates Sam?
Yep, it's wet and has some stock in there. Had a decent bacterial bloom about a week in which turned the tank close to milk... Things are still doing fine though!

Nothing crazy to report just yet, just ticking over with some basic frags in there till it gets nice and stable to hold some premium gear :)

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Gotta fill it yet guys :D
BRB, loading the Ute, 100 gallons of biodiesel and 3 1200l IBC totes into the Ute, then the Ute into a C-130. We'll filler up and you'll have some water for changes, I do get to take 1 tote home with me, gotta be the envy of all the Yanks with REAL Aussie seawater. Wonder how much I could get for it? Probably $3/gallon.

Last edited:

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
What kind of wood is the stand made out of Sam? I LOVE knotty wood that's just had a light stain and urethane over it. All of the stands I build now are coated with high traffic water based floor urethane.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
What kind of wood is the stand made out of Sam? I LOVE knotty wood that's just had a light stain and urethane over it. All of the stands I build now are coated with high traffic water based floor urethane.
To be 100% honest mate, I would have zero idea! I really have no education around timber at all, so I would be taking a massive stab in the dark to say it is some sort of pine. My local store had the stand built for me and as always, they have done a brilliant job. Was a shame I had to pull a bit of a part, but all is good now :)

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
It looks very similar to our Yellow Pine here in the USA. It's very dense and doesn't explode when exposed to saltwater. One of the retailers down near Washington, DC had a rack collapse because they used white pine. All of my stands are made from reclaimed or new Yellow Pine timber. I'll get around to cladding them in Red Oak this winter. I'd love to get my hands on some eucalyptus to work with, but it would cost me about $95 per side for M's 2' cube!