Tank Journal Archive

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Quick Pics July 2016
Hi all,

picked up a new pyramid butterfly a week ago, it's had the expected hazing to the tank and has a couple battle scars to prove it, but has finally been accepted by the tank mates and is settling in well. Grabbed a couple of quick pics of the usual photo bombers too.

Enjoy!
as25.postimg.org_fw2esyvdb_IMG_8019.jpg

as25.postimg.org_vvl2cirf3_IMG_8045.jpg

as25.postimg.org_c2djxk3f3_IMG_8047.jpg

as25.postimg.org_wnsbpgkzz_IMG_8056.jpg

curly747

Aug 13, 2013
Curl Curl
Excuse my ignorance. I am guessing photo 2 and 3 are the pyramid butterfly. What is the fish in the fourth photo.
Beautiful as always Sam !!

Last edited:

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
They look great Sam!
Do you ever have fish munching on your corals enough to cause problems? We won't talk about that Idol :p
Do you QT your fish?

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
They look great Sam!
Do you ever have fish munching on your corals enough to cause problems? We won't talk about that Idol :p
Do you QT your fish?
My angel is the only one that bothers corals, but I/the corals have got used to it now. She only ever destroyed a trachy, just annoys sps polyps now.

Nope - never QT'd a fish, but I buy all my fish from Dave at deer park and he doesn't sell a fish that isn't eating or healthy. No guarantees in life, but it's worked very well for me so far. I also don't try too risky fish like powder tangs etc.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Angels, in general, will only bother corals when they're bored or not getting enough food. I've kept Emporers in reef tanks with no issues until they get bored and hungry.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Food is not an issue, my angel is on the verge of obese, but boredom is interesting. How would I tackle that?

suta42

Aug 13, 2011
sydney
Food is not an issue, my angel is on the verge of obese, but boredom is interesting. How would I tackle that?
Get another angel (not kidding).

Good news is they're smart fish. That's the bad news too, they learn from each other. Sometimes one converts the other to new 'foodstuffs'. Other times they are busy interacting with each other and it lessens the coral damage. Personally if all you've lost is a trachy, and he nips at SPS, I'd be pretty happy.

Fwiw I once saw a large pyramid nipping at lobo in a shop tank. Think he had been taught by a cheeky flame that was in the tank....

Good luck with whatever approach you decide on!

Angie

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I had a little Indian Ocean Emporer that swam with 2 Lamarck's angels I have. I nuked the damn tank with sea hares and lost the little guy. I will say this, I have NEVER had an issue with large angels other than navarchus in a reef tank. I've had 6 bars, Emporers, Blue Face, Blue ring and Regals, no issues until they're hungry, missing something in their diet, or what seems to me bored. I would NEVER, EVER put a damn Flame in a tank with corals, EVER!!! Wave bye bye to your acans first, scolys and chalices won't be too far behind them. If you have a prized sponge, pass on ANY angel, large or Centropyge they'll mow it down in short order, you have been warned.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
I didn't for these shots, but yes - I currently only have on camera flash. Would love a external flash one day though. Maybe a couple, get creative :)