Tank Journal Archive

DeWalt

May 6, 2015
Melbourne
Quick Trip Down Memory Lane
Hi All

Just registered yesterday after lurking on the fourm for a while.

To start my journal I'll quickly chronicle my reefing journey over the last 12 years.

Quick outline of my past tanks:

Started a 6x2x2 in Cape Town in 2003. Read so many internet posts on wetwebmedia etc and loved the intricacy of the hobby.

This tank ran exceedingly well. Never lost a single fish or coral, kept sps and a magnifica anemone under 150w MH's (sps weren't terribly colourful) and a Turboflotor Multi SL skimmer. Only issue in hindsight was the lfs owner that fleeced me out of thousands selling me equipment that I didn't need...

Had to shut it down in Dec 2005 when we moved to Melbourne, Australia.

This pic was taken after all the corals were removed already unfortunately. Dated Dec 2005

Last pics from SA 011.jpg

Got to Melbourne on the 2nd of Jan 2006 and bought a 48x14x14 tank on the 9th (had to have a tank but didn't have loads of money). This ran sumpless for 8 months until we moved out of the rental place into our own home.

Dated June 2006

June 2006.jpg

Then got a 4x2x2 in September 2006 which had a sump and an aquamedic 2x250w MH pendant. This tank rocked and is still my favourite of all.

Dated Dec 2007:

Dec 2007.JPG

The above tank was on cruise control and everything going well when my wife asked me to move the tank to another spot as we wanted a bigger dining room table. Thought it was a good time to get a white cabinet (to match our furniture etc) but the move ended up in disaster.

Tank crashed, lost my flecked tang (can be seen in the pic above) and most of my coral. Got a mother of a protein skimmer and tried to get the tank back from the brink but was a real struggle. all the equipment couldn't fit in the cabinet and the hobby became a drag for the first time

Dated early 2008:
Early 2008.JPG

In December 2008, I decided to reboot and got a new 5x3x2 which was a monster of a big tank for me and so good to aquascape. Also, finally got a sohal tang which I always wanted.

Finally the skimmer and all equipment fitted in the cabinet again. I saw great growth in softies in the tank and largely ignored sps.

Dated September 2009

Sept 2009.JPG

This tank fell in disrepair when our son fell critically ill and passed away in 2010. Nothing could motivate me to do anything at the time, nevermind working a fish tank.

The tank got tap water topups and the fish were fed that's it. In Dec 2012, I gave all the livestock away and took a hammer to the tank, broke it into a million pieces and dumped it (now I'm really sorry I did that lol).

Kept some freshwater tanks since then but the itch to reef again bit me late last year. Got a new tank from reeflections in Dec 2014 and started her up in January 2015.

This journal will track the progress of this tank which I'm dubbing ''Nine Mile Reef'" which is a reef at Sodwana in South Africa where I once dived.

Dated early May 2015

May 2015.JPG

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Nice chronicling of your reefing past and a few ups and downs which is saddening but glad to see you've got yourself a new tank up and running, looking forward to watching it grow :)

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
:welcome
You'll enjoy your time here.
Cape Town has by far the best waterfront public aquarium in the world.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Love the history condensed into one post. My condolences on the loss of your son, its very moving to me that you wrote about it here - our hobbies very much need to take a back seat at times.

You've re-entered the hobby at a really good time - I'm a soft coral keeper and I'm seeing some fantastic corals for sale at the moment. Fish World on Cheltenham Road have had some really nice soft coral pieces lately at good prices that I've been unable to pass up if you haven't checked them out already.

DeWalt

May 6, 2015
Melbourne
Thanks guys, appreciate the welcome.

Nice chronicling of your reefing past and a few ups and downs which is saddening but glad to see you've got yourself a new tank up and running, looking forward to watching it grow :)
Cheers mate. Feels good to have a reef to play with again.

Cape Town has by far the best waterfront public aquarium in the world.
Gotta agree with you. Absolutely love that place.

You've re-entered the hobby at a really good time - I'm a soft coral keeper and I'm seeing some fantastic corals for sale at the moment. Fish World on Cheltenham Road have had some really nice soft coral pieces lately at good prices that I've been unable to pass up if you haven't checked them out already.
Cheers mate. I've only recently discovered Fish World even though it's probably the closest decent LFS to me. Got my skimmer there and am definitely going to get coral from there as well.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
I'd imagine it's great to have a reef again! They become such a great part of life over time lol
Where about's are you in Melb?

DeWalt

May 6, 2015
Melbourne
Finally another South African here!! So sorry to here about your son, the tank is looking awesome.:welcome
Thanks mate. I still support the Bokke but my dad swears I am more Australian with every year that passes, even claims I have an Aussie twang in my accent lol.