Tank Journal Archive

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Quick Update
Just a quick update on my work pico, I no longer have a peppy in there as it was eating any coral I put in there.

So now that he has gone, I've added a couple of fungias that my angel decided to eat in my main tank and a small BTA. All is going well :)

image.jpg
image.jpg

Sam

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
I forgot about this, looking awesome! :D
Yeah I kinda forgot to post updates on it as not too much happens in there. Whilst the shrimp was cool as it was as tame as any peppy I have ever seen before (would actually tell me when to feed by getting into its "spot" and dancing till I fed. lol) he was a major pain in the ass as I couldn't keep anything else in there. Lost a number of nice zoa frags and a duncan that he thought looked tasty..

Since losing him and adding these corals, I have grown a new respect for how cool they are. The overhang one of the fungias is getting is full on!

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Would a mantis be comfortable in a tank this size? If so, I'd be keen as mustard. If anyone at work gave me the shits, I could feed them to the mantis!
I don't see why not. I think they mostly keep close to their burrow once established.
The only thing that could be a problem is that its meaty foods could raise the nutrients in the tank. I am not sure how often they need to be fed though.
Maybe someone else with more knowledge can chime in :D

CodyS

Sep 22, 2012
Are there mini mantis species?

I reckon the ones I've seen would eventually outgrow it, but then just put it in your main tanks sump ;)

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I'm sure you'd be able to find a small one, the one I got in my rock years back was only 1 inch - tiny little guy. I wouldn't imagine they would grow all that rapidly but I guess you would find out!

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Having never knowingly kept a mantis, I'd just want to make sure that it would be comfortable in a tank this size. But yeah, from what I have seen - a small one would be comfortable in this tank for a fair while

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Mine was dwarfed in the 28L it was in, never came out from the rock that I saw, just a pair of eyes observing the world and grabbing passing food. They remind me a lot of scorpions in that way, happy not to move much if the food magically comes to them.