Tank Journal Archive

Radion’s New Defusers
So @daveH and I did it... we both ordered the new Radion defusers as reviewed by BRSTV. After seeing better par figures and reduction in caustic shimmer. We knew this will be a great upgrade to an incredible light.

I simply can not be happier!! It’s like a T5 but still a LED and the blend is just so beautiful and consistent. Pulling the covers off you can instantly see the fine individual light spectrum in the shimmer, put them back on and it’s so uniform. Perfect blend.
57ADDDDB-BCFC-469C-AD9A-353BE9BF26C1.jpeg

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
F528BC80-D420-479D-AAEE-DD6AA550EA21.jpeg

Totally agree, could not be happier with the result. Completely changes the look of the tank with a smoother, more expanded light that removes most of the shimmer and shadows. Brilliant!!!

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
So @daveH and I did it... we both ordered the new Radion defusers as reviewed by BRSTV. After seeing better par figures and reduction in caustic shimmer. We knew this will be a great upgrade to an incredible light.

I simply can not be happier!! It’s like a T5 but still a LED and the blend is just so beautiful and consistent. Pulling the covers off you can instantly see the fine individual light spectrum in the shimmer, put them back on and it’s so uniform. Perfect blend.
View attachment 57435
Hi,
looks like we have reached the business end of the equipment , and lights is the big issue.
I had planned to take the same direction as Lesley, with a combination of T5 and Geissman LEDs.
before I go too much further, I would like to ask for your opinions, suggestions and experiences.
The dimensions of the tank are important to keep in mind, re coverage and varied depths.
Brief recap - the tank is 3000mm long and 1100mm wide. Depth is 900mm , with a step down to 1200mm at the last 800mm.
The hood is yet to be built. Plan is for it to be 500mm high, and have an Aluminum frame inside to hang the lights. The whole hood can then be raised on the 4 SS cables by 600mm towards the ceiling via the actuator we built into the trusses.

The plans is for initial soft corals, and once the tank is fully settled, start with the sps.
Planned fish - Powder Blue Tang, Yellow tangs, Achiles tang, Clown tang, Kole tang, Foxface, Colral beauty, Bi-color angle, Flame angle, Majestic, assortment of Blennies, Hawkfish, pair of Ocelaris clowns.

As this is a pretty big ticket topic, I would appreciate your advice on which lights, and how many for this sort of set up.

Tks in advance
(P.S. the image shows I still have a greenish color to the water - pretty sure caused by the water we stored in the IBCs getting a big algae bloom - had to dump 1,5 IBCs, and hope to get new water tomorrow.)

Jac

Attachments

Hi,
looks like we have reached the business end of the equipment , and lights is the big issue.
I had planned to take the same direction as Lesley, with a combination of T5 and Geissman LEDs.
before I go too much further, I would like to ask for your opinions, suggestions and experiences.
The dimensions of the tank are important to keep in mind, re coverage and varied depths.
Brief recap - the tank is 3000mm long and 1100mm wide. Depth is 900mm , with a step down to 1200mm at the last 800mm.
The hood is yet to be built. Plan is for it to be 500mm high, and have an Aluminum frame inside to hang the lights. The whole hood can then be raised on the 4 SS cables by 600mm towards the ceiling via the actuator we built into the trusses.

The plans is for initial soft corals, and once the tank is fully settled, start with the sps.
Planned fish - Powder Blue Tang, Yellow tangs, Achiles tang, Clown tang, Kole tang, Foxface, Colral beauty, Bi-color angle, Flame angle, Majestic, assortment of Blennies, Hawkfish, pair of Ocelaris clowns.

As this is a pretty big ticket topic, I would appreciate your advice on which lights, and how many for this sort of set up.

Tks in advance
(P.S. the image shows I still have a greenish color to the water - pretty sure caused by the water we stored in the IBCs getting a big algae bloom - had to dump 1,5 IBCs, and hope to get new water tomorrow.)

Jac
That sound lovely, however Lesley might be the right person to contact on this one. I cant afford that gear and don't have any practical information on them. Good luck.

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
That sound lovely, however Lesley might be the right person to contact on this one. I cant afford that gear and don't have any practical information on them. Good luck.
Thanks Fishy.. unfortunately Lesley seems to have taken some time to herself, as I dont see her on the site lately.
I have been reading up and prowling the various web sites and BRS, to arrive at a final decision. They all claim to be the best etc etc, but as you rightly pointed out, this is a big ticket itme, so I want to get it right.
With the size and especially depth of our tank, I cannot just rely on the standard claims. I was just asking if anyone had advice or experience that would be applicable.
Tks

Jac

ezza

Sep 17, 2017
Wellington, NZ
Thanks Fishy.. unfortunately Lesley seems to have taken some time to herself, as I dont see her on the site lately.
I have been reading up and prowling the various web sites and BRS, to arrive at a final decision. They all claim to be the best etc etc, but as you rightly pointed out, this is a big ticket itme, so I want to get it right.
With the size and especially depth of our tank, I cannot just rely on the standard claims. I was just asking if anyone had advice or experience that would be applicable.
Tks

Jac
@Lesley ’s circumstances changed in the last year or two. I’m sure she would be happy to give you advice when she’s available. Have you tried a PM?

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
@Lesley ’s circumstances changed in the last year or two. I’m sure she would be happy to give you advice when she’s available. Have you tried a PM?
Ezza,
great to read your update, and I hope this will be a better year for you healthwise.
No, I have not tried a PM ( Personal message I assume ).. I am new to this blog business - am I allowed to or able to contact her directly ?
I really enjoyed her journal updates last year, and recognized her enthusiasm and experience.
I would love to be able to talk to her, , since my experience was an * ft tank for 20 years, BUT set up ca. 1988, and so much has changed with knowledge and equipment. I am trying to pay my dues, be humble, ask questions and get myself up to speed.

My tank is brand new, just started the cycle Jan 22, so the first Algae is setting in on rocks and sand.
I chuckled to read that you collected some star fish and snails at the beach - I just id that yesterday, and got a heap of Turbinaria snails and a single hermit, as the start of a clean up crew. :-)

I hope to do a major water change ( 60~70%) in the next week, and then maybe consider added the few first fish who are in Quarantine since 2 weeks.

I am sure there will be any bumps along the way, and I am looking forward to all the advice I can get.

Take care
Jac

ezza

Sep 17, 2017
Wellington, NZ
Ezza,
great to read your update, and I hope this will be a better year for you healthwise.
No, I have not tried a PM ( Personal message I assume ).. I am new to this blog business - am I allowed to or able to contact her directly ?
I really enjoyed her journal updates last year, and recognized her enthusiasm and experience.
I would love to be able to talk to her, , since my experience was an * ft tank for 20 years, BUT set up ca. 1988, and so much has changed with knowledge and equipment. I am trying to pay my dues, be humble, ask questions and get myself up to speed.

My tank is brand new, just started the cycle Jan 22, so the first Algae is setting in on rocks and sand.
I chuckled to read that you collected some star fish and snails at the beach - I just id that yesterday, and got a heap of Turbinaria snails and a single hermit, as the start of a clean up crew. :)

I hope to do a major water change ( 60~70%) in the next week, and then maybe consider added the few first fish who are in Quarantine since 2 weeks.

I am sure there will be any bumps along the way, and I am looking forward to all the advice I can get.

Take care
Jac
Yes :) you can send her a PM. Go to "Inbox" and "Start a new conversation". When you start typing her name into the box for whom you are writing to it will pop up the list of people so you can just click the right name. if you want to get someone's attention, you type @ and their name.... @Jacques Pels @ezza @Lesley ... it's pretty easy :)

I discovered a long time ago that the turbinaria, black nerite, periwinkle and a range of other snails from the beach are perfect for my aquarium. i have a small giant triton at the moment too. i've had no luck with urchins (bought or collected) and these days i avoid large snails because they are the breeders and if they die, their putrid stench will make you regret your entire life. it's not worth it!

:D