Reef Discussion

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Radion Users
This is probably more for the Gen 4 owners. Earlier Gens may have the same settings, I don't know.
I'm still working out a good program for the Gen4 pros I now have.
I setup a program that looked similar to what I had before with my Ethereals but then I thought I would have a look at some of the pre-programmed schedules that came with the lights.
I then noticed that their latest schedule was called Coral Lab with the sub-template of SPS AB+ which I was surprised at how predominantly blue throughout the 12 hour schedule it was.
I have been used to running my schedule over 14 hours with slow starts and finishes but with a good balance of whites and blues at peak time, however the Coral Lab threw up a small alert telling me to stick to 12 hours.
Having moved a bit more towards SPS should I now be looking more at the bluer spectrum and not go beyond 12 hour lighting?
We all like to see our tanks come on when we get up in the morning and it's so good to relax and watch them fade down at night. But is that the best for what's trying to survive in our tanks?
Opinions?
Does anyone go longer than 12 hours?

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
I've got a G3 Radion but had the same experience as you.
Ran a template of my own for a long time then changed to the AB+
I had the same thoughts about the blueness and the 12 hour run time.
Decided to just go with it to see how things reacted. I think I may have increased the hours to 12 1/2
To be honest though if u asked me if the AB+ program made a difference, I'm not sure haha. Things look good so can't complain, but not different enough for me to tell.
I'm not much help..
Would be interesting to what other people think.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I've got a G3 Radion but had the same experience as you.
Ran a template of my own for a long time then changed to the AB+
I had the same thoughts about the blueness and the 12 hour run time.
Decided to just go with it to see how things reacted. I think I may have increased the hours to 12 1/2
To be honest though if u asked me if the AB+ program made a difference, I'm not sure haha. Things look good so can't complain, but not different enough for me to tell.
I'm not much help..
Would be interesting to what other people think.
That's good to hear - I've extended my schedule a little bit and thrown a little bit of whites into the main period.
I'll see how that goes for a few weeks and repost.
It's just hard to make sure that the schedule that is pleasant to your eye is doing the right thing.
The main thing is I'm not burning anything and I'm still getting growth . . . So!!!!!