Reef Discussion

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
Rainwater Rodi Question
Hey hey

Has anyone tried using rainwater for their tank? I switched to RODI a few months back and the waste is crazy high I figure if we end up in a drought again I'll start to feel really guilty

I was thinking of setting up something to collect rainwater (not very useful in a drought but still) then I'd run this through the RODI and feel a bit better about the waste as it's not water from the dams also its free

Has anyone tried this or any input as to if it's a good idea? Would it chew through RODI filters much quicker than tap water?

Sep 24, 2013
Palm Beach
It is a common question and people usually adopt methods that are easier to implement, such as using the waste to fill up a washing machine or a reservoir that is later used for general washing or plants irrigation.

If you collect rain water, you will have to make sure it is stored at pressure or else you will have to buy a RO booster pump, which are noisy and expensive.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I would suspect that the rain would collect a fair amount of pollution as it travels through the atmosphere above Sydney - but maybe not a lot different to the chemicals that the water companies throw into the drinking water. Only time will tell if the filters require more frequent changes.

And, as @Franklin Dattein has mentioned, the water needs to be pressurised for the RO/DI filters to work properly.

So, it can be done but it's your call if the extra cost etc is worth it. Maybe just utilising the waste water rather than letting it go down the drain will ease your conscience.

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
Yea I usually try to keep it to use for plants rather than down the drain just figured there might be a bit of an idea here

So basically it could work but if its worth it is a different story

dazzamx

Feb 24, 2015
I use rain water as that's all we have on our property.
We have 5 water tanks giving me a total of 120000 lt.. I still run it through an Ro filter first though.
All the waste water go's into our bio cycle then is pumped back into our gardens.

dazzamx

Feb 24, 2015
Yes.
When we had our bore water tested. Bore water come back shit.
Rain water come back awesome.
Even when I test for phos and nitrate straight out of the rain water tanks every fortnight it come back 0.
All come down to the way your tanks are set up.
We run a real good first flush system before the water even gets to the tanks, and living 40 min away from Cairns up near Kuranda FNQ helps as well I'd say.
Living in a city, Rain water may test different.