Reef Discussion

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
Randy's For Alk
I was wondering why the growth rate on my zoas and chalices had slowed. In the case of the chalices it has reversed. Starting to see skeleton! I bought some kits and they were saying things weren't so bad.
It turns out that user error is to blame...... here are my params. (For what I tested)
Alk 5.6dkh!!!!!!
Cal 480ppm
Mag 1600ppm
So I have decided to add some Alk in hopes that it will also help with my super high mag levels.
I have made 3l of Alk suppliment and will slowly drip it into the tank and see where thing go.

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
For interest sake, how slow are you planning ? in what size DT....

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
I have a 400l system. Over night I have dripped in about 80ml. Too fast for my liking. My xenia seems to be a bit sulky but it has not been happy for a while. (I wonder why?)
I slowed the rate by about a third this morning.

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
OH CRAP!!
My wife thought she was being helpfull and openned up the drip rate. I now have used just under 400ml in two days!!
I have now turned the drips off.

On the bright side my Alk is higher. 9.5 dkh which is about 1dkh higher than I was aiming for, I just needed it to get there slower.

So far, touch wood, 1 colony of zoas has closed and yes, it is 1 that I really don't want to loose.
We shall see what, if any problems a decent Alk swing will cause.

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
What are you aiming for?
I think I want it to get somewhere around 7.5 to 8.5. I mainly have zoas, chalice and would like maybe 1 or 2 nice acros just for some height so I think that would be around what I need.
I have never really tested anything before, have always relied on water changes to fix issues but its time to get serious! :D

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
Whatever is going on, here are a few zoas that haven't openned for two months. (Since I recieved them as fresh cut frags
20150628_180816.jpg
this guy has doubled in size. It seems to have more flesh if that makes sense
20150628_180831.jpg

once I can maintain my Alk at a stable level I shall takle the cyano.:D