Reef Discussion

megsez

Apr 29, 2012
sunshine coast
Randy's Kh Mix Blocking Dosing Tube
Just wondering if any one else gets Randy's KH mix becoming a stalactite were the dosing tube enters the water and blocks the tube???

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Yes, mine does the same thing. The end of the hose is normally above the water level and I get a bit of a build-up. But, whenever I do a water change and turn all the pumps off, the water level in the sump increases and dissolves the build-up :)

I don't think it would take much to clean it off.

megsez

Apr 29, 2012
sunshine coast
Ok not just mine then. No just have to brake the hardened piece of and its good to go again. Does the pre made purchased additives do it eg Seachem??

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I think all Alk dosing does this - I had mine in the water to start with before realising it clogged up regularly, so now I have it above the water and it does it less often. I am using pre-made, forget which brand actualy.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Never had mine block up with randys alk. Current tube is about 6 months old. Not even a tiny bit of build up.

megsez

Apr 29, 2012
sunshine coast
Thanks for the reply's. Strange how some does and does not. I wonder if diluting the mix will make it happen less frequent. I would be interested in trying some seachem to compare. May get some next order I do. Will let you guys know how it goes