Reef Discussion

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
Rare Fish.
Hi all,
Thought id pop back for a wee thread as ill be coming back to reefing soon.
Anyway I'm putting together a planned fish list and wanted to know if anyone was lucky enough to have fish from oceans away and if so what do you have or wish to have.

Ive been diving in Mexixo and would love a blue spot jaw fish but don't think ill ever get one.
Are there restrictions on certain fish coming from other oceans to aus? Im not sure would love some guidance.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Oh hai!

The two wrasse I got were from oceans away, same as my Rhomboid wrasse. Blue Spot Jawfish are on the no go list :( But if you wanted to file for allowing them on the import list you can actually do it, it's just stupidly long winded and expensive for only a chance of approval. There's lots that I want that won't get for a while :( Anything that's a liopropoma sp., lipogramm klayi, gramma dejongi and a few others but that being said it looks like there might be a change in regulations with captive bred imports being allowed and that would really open up a lot of things for us given what can be currently captive bred :D

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Oh hai!

The two wrasse I got were from oceans away, same as my Rhomboid wrasse. Blue Spot Jawfish are on the no go list :( But if you wanted to file for allowing them on the import list you can actually do it, it's just stupidly long winded and expensive for only a chance of approval. There's lots that I want that won't get for a while :( Anything that's a liopropoma sp., lipogramm klayi, gramma dejongi and a few others but that being said it looks like there might be a change in regulations with captive bred imports being allowed and that would really open up a lot of things for us given what can be currently captive bred :D
So you can import captive bred species easier than wild caught? I've bred and raised Yellow Head Jawfish, I'd have a go at the Blue Spots, can't be that much different. I also understand that they're breeding the Cuban Grammas in Cuba, but they come with a VERY hefty price tag. My price for them is $5500USD.:dead

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
So you can import captive bred species easier than wild caught? I've bred and raised Yellow Head Jawfish, I'd have a go at the Blue Spots, can't be that much different. I also understand that they're breeding the Cuban Grammas in Cuba, but they come with a VERY hefty price tag. My price for them is $5500USD.:dead
Not yet :( The change in regulations still needs to change but everyone has their fingers crossed! lol if I win the lotto and this passes, I'll be sending an email to Todd Gardener and saying 4 of everything please haha. I would LOVE a gramma dejongi!!

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
omg $550usd cray! they are so pretty though. Do you have a rare fishy?

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
Oh hai!

Ok I've got to google these fish you talk about. Thanks for the info. Where do you get all this wisdom ? ;-)

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I've been keeping tropical fish since 1974, marine fish since 1977. I started importing and transshipping in 1996. I currently breed 7 species of marine fish, none of which are clowns. I need to see what shipping back to Aus would be and we'll need to get our ducks in a row as well.

suta42

Aug 13, 2011
sydney
I've been keeping tropical fish since 1974, marine fish since 1977. I started importing and transshipping in 1996. I currently breed 7 species of marine fish, none of which are clowns. I need to see what shipping back to Aus would be and we'll need to get our ducks in a row as well.
Unfortunately they'd still have to go through a local importer who has an AQIS approved quarantine room (so at least double his cost). You would also need to be an approved exporter, afaik we won't be able to deal with individuals / unapproved companys direct - pretty sure that won't change.

In short, availability may improve but cost to Australian reefers will still be sky high (sorry Dom!)

Cheers,
Angie

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Unfortunately they'd still have to go through a local importer who has an AQIS approved quarantine room (so at least double his cost). You would also need to be an approved exporter, afaik we won't be able to deal with individuals / unapproved companys direct - pretty sure that won't change.

In short, availability may improve but cost to Australian reefers will still be sky high (sorry Dom!)

Cheers,
Angie
I'll set up a couple of black plastic tubs and some black plastic tarps in a Bunnings greenhouse in my backyard and get that approved by AQIS :P that should help my costs :cry:cry:dead

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Ok I've got to google these fish you talk about. Thanks for the info. Where do you get all this wisdom ? ;-)
Far too many hours on the internet haha the Reef Threads podcast, youtube, Advanced Aquarist, Reef Builders (especially Lemon's articles) and hundreds and thousands of forum threads :P

Bdear22

Feb 11, 2013
Newcastle
At the moment I don't have any wildly exotic fish. But have a pair of misbar percula's and a fishers angel which I think are cool. I plan on getting a few vanderbilt chromis, a candy stripe hogfish and stigmata blenny. Not overly rare but I don't see them often in the hobby anyway :rolleyes

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
At the moment I don't have any wildly exotic fish. But have a pair of misbar percula's and a fishers angel which I think are cool. I plan on getting a few vanderbilt chromis, a candy stripe hogfish and stigmata blenny. Not overly rare but I don't see them often in the hobby anyway :rolleyes
Nice choice, i haven't seen any of those around.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I should have gone to MACNA this year, someone has been breeding 9 different species of angels. With the 1 I do and the ones that BA does that's 14 CB angels. We're unlocking them slowly but surely.