Reef Discussion

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
I no longer have the unit, its at @macca_75 who's giving it a test run and setting a unit up himself. As soon as I get it back I will image the card, however it maybe another month or so :) I understand its still running OK.

JoshF47

Feb 27, 2013
Hi @Rob, just adding my request for information and an image or code/etc. Whatever you can share. I joined this forum just to ask, but now I'm spending way too much time looking around too.

Thanks, Josh

bluewater36

Mar 7, 2013
Hello Rob,

I am interested in creating a similar setup and I came across this thread while googling. I'm relatively new to all of this and your project seems like it may be a good starting point for me. Would you mind PM'ing / emailing me any code / other helpful information not listed in this thread? I will PM you my email address and a copy of this message as well.

Thank You!

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
This project in its original form has been running at macca's for the last few months and worked well. I thought I would not progress now having the profilux setup. The profilux is great however for parameter monitoring its not soo good, looks like its back to the RPi .

After doing a quick google I have found that RPi breakout boards have exploded in qty over the last 4 months. The original breakout board was a pain to construct however just found this

http://www.abelectronics.co.uk/products/3/Raspberry-Pi/26/Com-Pi-RS232-Serial-and-1-Wire

It's a 1-wire interface coupled with an RS232 port. Wow. That's perfect having 1-wire for temperatures ,counters and A/D plus the RS232 to connect to the atlas Ph and ORP probes. That really cuts down the DIY build by 90%. I've ordered one to test out, it's now really compact and off the shelf solution. The real cool bit is it has I2C level converters built in, in English that means the 1-wire bus can use 5vdc instead of 3.3v. That's real important if you ever need to use the 1-wire A/D converters.

So looks like this thread gets a new life with rev2 of the build underway...

Ill keep you posted on if the rs232 is ok with the atlas interface. I know I owe a few people the serial commands I use to communicate to the atlas probes. Next time I go to macca's ill get a copy. I really should of backed it up.

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
I think you should just keep the grey box, which is already wired to take all probes and 1-wire measurements. I found the lid. Lets just swap the components over to your stuff.

Macca, When you have a moment can you log into the RPi and copy the startup file located in /var/scripts/. I actually forgot what its called :(. search through the history and see the file we used to startup the monitoring with.

Socal_S4

Mar 23, 2013
So excited to see some activity here! I'm currently running an Arduino with 1 wire and solid state relays for control of heaters and fans. Adding a pi to the mix would be awesome! Best of luck with ver.2.

Norman

Dec 29, 2012
Hey guys,
I'm kind of lost. My problem is, that I'm not very familiar with electronics. The software part wouldn't be that hard for me I think but I just don't know how to connect the sensors, especially the ph probe since this is the most interesting to me, to the PI.
I think the easiest solutions would be using the Com-Pi-RS232-Serial-and-1-Wire board Rob mentioned in post #49 and connect it to the probe via RX and TX and just stack it on the PI right? Does this one need a own power supply or does it get its power from the PI? What to do then to get the informations from the probe?

I don't want to get spoon-fed but I need some basic electronic information about which parts I need and how to cennect them properly.

Kind regards!

Norman

Dec 29, 2012
Just found an alternative which might be even more easy to connect to the pi via usb: drdaq.com
Do you think this would be the way to go for peple which are less familiar with electronics?

EDIT: Just saw the price is hilarious so maybe it's not the way to go :banghead

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Version 2 underway AquaPi, I am going to step through and document this implementation as parts and time are available. Hope to complete this within the month as there is very little soldering / assembly required with V2.0, Only items I am waiting on is the 1wire/rs232 breakout board. My only real hassle with the setup is i never really understand how to get apache2 running correctly with its directives and cgi scripts enabled. I just stuff around until it works. If anyone has any knowledge on this it would be great. Especially on how to lock down the Apache2 security.

I have just completed step 1->1.4 (2 hrs) below tonight and the pi is happy communicating via the smallest usb wifi dongle I have ever seen ($8.00). AquaPi is currently in the aquarium cabinet about 15m away from my router with apache2 running although no data or any real programs loaded. So will document this step over the weekend on the basis it keeps a reliable connection.

1.0 Hardware / loading and getting a net connection
1.1 Parts Required.
1.2 Initial load of the raspberrypi and setup. although assume everybody can get a Raspberrypi at least booted.
1.3 Enable a small wifi usb device for net connection or direct cable connection to home router
1.4 enable ssh so that you can log into the AquaPi sitting at your aquarium from your windows PC.

2.0 Enable GPIO
2.1 Install and test the GPIO library to control the on board digital IO
2.2 Setup I2C Tools for the option of using a I2C->1wire driver
2.2 Disable kernal messages to serial port and enable communications to Atlas probes

3. OWFS -1wire interface
3.1 Install onewire file system (owfs) for temperature probes and other I/O devices that sue 1wire protocol
3.2 test out the web interface and enable various adapters, USB and I2C
3.3 make sure owfs starts at reboot

5. Load support packages
5.1 Install apache2 and load default web pages (gauges & trends for up to 5 sensors).
5.2 . Install rrdtools for easy logging and trending
5.2.1 Generate rrdtools database

6.0 ??
6.1. install the logging script to gather sensor data and poke into rrdtools for trending

Norman

Dec 29, 2012
You just have to love the internet - @Clownfishy from the UK discussing the PI with @Norman from Germany on an Aussie Reefing site :)

Welcome aboard guys.
+1 and thanks ;)

...there is very little soldering / assembly required with V2.0...
that sounds good to me :)

If anyone has any knowledge on this it would be great. Especially on how to lock down the Apache2 security.
so I have little knowldge about the CGI part. What do you need it for? Are you working with PERL?
Locking down security sounds not good to me :D What problems are you facing exactly?