Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
i was comparing them to the mazaras what use the xm-l etc
also remember leds vary in quality depending on their bins

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I am no LED afficianado by any means you terms like 'bins' are a bit lost on me to be honest.

The PAR spread looks pretty good ... though maybe the spread is too wide for my 60x30. Wonder if I can switch the lenses to 60degree
awww.maxspect.com.au_images_Razor_PAR.jpg

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I think they only come in one size, 600mm × 265mm x 25mm. But I see what you mean, that looks like a graph for one LED cluster, whereas the razor has 3. Looks odd now I consider it again.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
i got to play with the maxspec razor today.

not a bad light unit for its price.

if i was on a budget and wanted to go led it is probably the way i would do, looks to retail at $600 for a light that does "supposibly" 4x2x2, i think the light would be better suited to 2x2x2 or a 3x2x2.
control's wernt to hard. more of one of those set once never play with again kind of things.

body looks sleek and nice light output was nice, with an allright variety of leds for the price

heres what i didn't like.

the legs were flimsy and cheap.
the body of most the light is vertical fins meaning light bounces back up through the light (annoys me wouldnt annoy most)
body felt a little flimsy (but hey what can you expect for the price?)
fans are on the bottom of the unit, not a fan of this for salt spray and creep.
unit also did get quite warm in the middle

overall decent light IMO, i wouldn't go selling any of the higher brand units to go buy one, eg radion,illumagic,vertex but not bad for the mid range

from the pictures i did think it would actualy look sleeker

(this was only from looking at the unit for 30 minutes i haven't seen a unit over a tank for a sustained time)

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
I quite like the look of them, had a play with them on the weekend as well. The par readings around the tank were very interesting, much better than I thought. And for the price it blows anything similar away.

They are definitely on my list for the new build

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
hmm be good to start a thread with a little review on the 5 or 6 top lights...with PAR readings

would be keen to see the radion...i havent even turned mine on yet lol

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
problem is comparison threads usually end up one way, everyone has 'their' brand and will normally rate theirs better than any other for any reason they can think of. Even if it was par readings noone, that I know anyway, has 5-6 different brands running over the same size tank etc so its hard to compare as different meters and techniques etc will be used.

GhostRPH

Sep 19, 2012
I am running a 10 000k 160w unit on my new tank, will let you know how this goes but so far I am quite impressed....

Also anyone wants to do a accurate test they are more than welcome to bring their equipment over and use it as a guinea pig...

Hi Guys has anyone played with the manuel settings,if so what settings do you guys have, ive got the 16000k 160w which i love on the preset 2 mode ,which runs 24hrs eg.midnight mode at night.

ps ill second ghostRPH if anyone one wants to do a accurate test the on light.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Anyone in SE suburbs Vic have one of these on their tank? I wouldn't mind seeing one in the flesh.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I was going to DIY the lights for my 6ft tank but I reckon I'll be going with these now