Reef Discussion

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Re-use Pvc Pipes & Fittings
I purchased a second hand tank a while ago, complete with stand and all the plumbing. However, I am not going to use the original stand or sump which means that none of the plumbing fits.

But, I don't like to waste things that are in good condition :rolleyes

What would you do with a heap of fittings like this -
Pipes.jpg

Throw them all out and start again, or try to salvage what you can?

A union costs $6.75, but a joiner only costs $1.35 ;)

E

ezza

Soak them in bleach, maybe a few Milton tabs in the bath would work.. Scrub them clean inside and make a soccer net for the kids :D or maybe a periscope, a room to room communication device, a marble run, a water play station... Hmm maybe not quite what you had in mind.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Im all in for the experiment on the dying process. Plus I am a minor grade hoarder, so I would hang onto them for a future project

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Having a close look at the pile, there isn't anything really worth keeping for tank plumbing.
I think the suggestion of a marble run for the kids would be the best use.
Pity you can't recycle them at Bunnings for a credit haha.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
image.jpeg

Plan to chew though this pile of pipe at work this month. Should see some of the tasty off cuts I chuck.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
If you REALLY feel like saving any, I have had success with heating up the fitting with a hair dryer and pulling them apart to save valves and unions.
Doesn't work to well with smaller parts like elbows as the heat tends to warp the part before the glue lets go.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
If you REALLY feel like saving any, I have had success with heating up the fitting with a hair dryer and pulling them apart to save valves and unions.
Doesn't work to well with smaller parts like elbows as the heat tends to warp the part before the glue lets go.
I tried that yesterday without much success - I'm not sure the hairdryer was getting it hot enough :confused:

E

ezza

I was reading about pvc pipe glue. A heat gun (not hairdryer) is recommended, but essentially the material says that the "glue" is actually a sort of catalyst that starts a reaction causing the pipe plastic to melt together. So it might be easier just to not try to pull it all apart.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
FWIW I throw all my useful bits in a polystyrene box in the shed. When the time comes and you need a union, see if the pipe attached is long enough already (can you cut it down). Same with the elbow (assuming only 1 end has been glued).

I'd never pull pieces apart, but if you can reuse "as is" by cutting it down then sure why not.

For a few $$$ do you really want joiners and such in your pipe work?

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I was reading about pvc pipe glue. A heat gun (not hairdryer) is recommended, but essentially the material says that the "glue" is actually a sort of catalyst that starts a reaction causing the pipe plastic to melt together. So it might be easier just to not try to pull it all apart.
If you just leave the hair dryer on the part for about 5 minutes, until the part is almost too hot to touch, you should be able to twist the parts loose. A heat gun would work with much less time since they get up to a few hundred degrees at least.

bimbo

Oct 7, 2014
Newcastle
If you cut the pipe off just above the fitting or flush then with a heat gun heat the inside of the pipe, once hot jam a flat screwdriver or better still a pair of needle nose pliers in between the fitting and pipe and prise them apart. The pipe needs tone hot enough that it is soft and flexible.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I did actually try my wife's better hairdryer and managed to get a few bits apart - I also managed to make a few parts something other than round :banghead