Tank Journal Archive

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Reactors - Pellets? Others?
From all I have read, I am tempted to give a pellet reactor a go. Who is using them? Any recommendations?

Also if I do go for pellets ... Other reactors? Or is pellets enough?

I'm planning a fairly large fuge, and keeping my marine pure balls. Otherwise just a skimmer and return planned so far.

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
fuge & bio pellets don't mix .
if you do go for pellets all you need is a good skimmer .
fuge will use your excess nutrients to survive and grow. the pellets will remove all the nutrients.
@Sarg has a good looking reactor.
if you decide to get one try and get a recirculating one.

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
I have been running the tlf phosban 150 reactor hanging on the back of my tank for about eight months now and my phos levels are almost nonexistant. I am running the seachem phos remover and no negative impacts on my softies so far.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
I know guys who are running a fuge and pellets and I intend to try on my next sump. Not a deep sandbed or anything just a bit of macro and lr.

Not sure what is happening in my tank atm. I have phos at .03 and nitrate around .5ppm. I haven't done a proper wc in nearly two months (faulty salt importer dragging their feet) except for two small nsw changes so that's probably the main reason but a few sps are getting darker than they should. Still going good though about to get more pellets from the states.

Do it get a pellets!

riley

Apr 25, 2013
GYMEA BAY
i run a fuge and bio pellets. no problem with running both. i use a JNS Alpha 2 reactor that I've modded to be recirculating. using a mix of np pellets and aqua maxx. i found the reef octopus level a white chorkie residue on the water surface .

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Interesting, I never realised fuge + pellets was potentially a mismatch! Good to know it can work though - it would just be chaeto primarily, plus Marine Pure spheres (in place of any LR).

@Sarg what was teh reactor you got again? I know it cost a pretty penny and way too big for my needs I expect, but good to know what works and doesn't.

Was thinking of trying these"

areefbuilders.com_files_2014_05_all_in_one_biopellets.jpg

The patent-pending All-In-One Biopellets from DVH Imports have been fine tuned to remove as much as five times more nitrate and ten to twenty times more phosphate than previous biopellet formulas.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Since I've had mine running I've had them tumbling quick, slow and in between and haven't had any cyno issues at all. I recon it depends on the tank and how its running on wether you get it or not. Maybe even down to the brand of pellet possibly.

Reef dynamics like in the video ^^^ that's the guy who makes them.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Second new tank equipment purchased, also reef secrets sns, was the jns alpha 1E bio pellet reactor. Gets awesome reviews, many saying it's better than expensive recirculating reactors. Sns deal was for 250ml free pellets to get me started :)