Tank Journal Archive

gtrxu1

Jun 25, 2012
Reboot
I decided to bite the bullet and replace all my rock, something I should have done a long time ago. Although I got my tank back on track after the crash I still had some algae problems, mainly this horrible red shit that is like carpet. I decided enough was enough.

Its a great end to what has been a pretty crappy tank ever since I got it, the main reason being I was trying to save a buck and got all my rock for free from a fellow reefer who was getting out of the hobby. Seemed like a good idea at the time, probably got $500 worth of primo looking rock for free. Thought I did the right thing cleaning it and letting it cycle properly but in the end its caused me nothing but trouble, so if you are reading this and thinking about cutting corners on your next tank build, Don't do it!

So since my load is fairly low at the moment, just a few fish and corals left from the crash I thought I may as well start fresh with new rocks and sand. All the fish and corals have been moved to a holding tub which is setup with a skimmer and light, heater etc.

Here's some Pics.

20160910_232905.jpg

I picked up some nice looking Real Reef Rock from Williamstown on the Shop Crawl a few weeks back. Got a really good deal on it from the owner.

20160910_232811.jpg

Tank, Sump and all equipment completely cleaned and Vinegar bathed.

20160911_001453.jpg

Sand and Rocks in after puttying them together, scraped the overflow box which took hours to get all the Coraline off, but well worth it. I noticed the bottom weir cover was brittle and broken so I replaced it with some acrylic for now. I want to test how the tank surface skims now that the bottom inlet is blocked. I have never been a fan of this feature on the Cade so looking forward to seeing how it goes.

20160911_001510.jpg

I was hoping for a bit more height and to get more of a bommie look with those flat pieces. In the end it was to hard to Putty and I worried about the structural integrity over time. I also didn't want to go to drastic lengths and use acrylic rods or anything like that.

I am quite happy with how it all turned out though.

20160911_001445.jpg

It's filling at the moment! :D

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
I think it looks bloody fantastic Andrew! :) You've definitely cleaned the tank up really nicely and it will be looking schmicko again in no time ;)

How are you going to cycle the new rock? Bacteria?

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I really like the gully look. I think you could create some great depth of field with that.

gtrxu1

Jun 25, 2012
I think it looks bloody fantastic Andrew! :) You've definitely cleaned the tank up really nicely and it will be looking schmicko again in no time ;)

How are you going to cycle the new rock? Bacteria?
I got some Dr Tims, so will give it a try, although I have seen a lot of snake oil threads about it today on some forums.
I know a few people who have used it with amazing results though so I will give it a try.

I really like the gully look. I think you could create some great depth of field with that.
Yeah something I always wanted was a gully look which is hard in a smaller tank, but I think it works like this. I still have plenty of room to play around with positioning as well.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
I got some Dr Tims, so will give it a try, although I have seen a lot of snake oil threads about it today on some forums.
I know a few people who have used it with amazing results though so I will give it a try.
I love the stuff lol it's what I used to cycle my tank and that worked a dream :) I ghost feed the tank for a week before adding any fish just to be sure though :)

gtrxu1

Jun 25, 2012
The Dr Tims seems to be working really well, I have been dosing the Ammonium Chloride and as of last night its at Zero Ammonia. Only ever went as high .25 even though I have been dosing the recommended 2ppm of Ammonia.

I put this down to the matrix which I moved over from the old system, it must have been able to prevent a full cycle from happening.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
The Dr Tims seems to be working really well, I have been dosing the Ammonium Chloride and as of last night its at Zero Ammonia. Only ever went as high .25 even though I have been dosing the recommended 2ppm of Ammonia.

I put this down to the matrix which I moved over from the old system, it must have been able to prevent a full cycle from happening.
That's great news mate!

gtrxu1

Jun 25, 2012
I'll see how it goes over the weekend and I may transfer my stock over sooner than I thought.
Its a small bioload anyway so I think I will be ok here.

gtrxu1

Jun 25, 2012
I got everyone transferred over last night, some of the corals aren't to happy after being in the tub for 2 weeks. A monti has lost colour, and a few LPS look like they have being stung. SPS frags from the meet were looking a bit worse for wear so hoping they improve now that they are in a new home.

Overall its looking awesome though, I'll post some pics tonight when they have settled in.

gtrxu1

Jun 25, 2012
Came home to a Diatom Outbreak last night, so no pics until its cleared :eek

j/k I will post some tonight.

gtrxu1

Jun 25, 2012
Diatoms are going nuts but the Stombus Snails are dealing with it like champs. I found out what I thought was stinging going on in the tub was actually my Cowrie eating the corals.
Since moving them back into the tank I noticed the Cowrie munching on one of the Frags and also taking big nips out of my prized war coral.

I have had it for years and never had any problems but I did some reading on them, they can be opportunistic when their main food source (algae) is unavailable.
So being tubbed for 2 weeks without any algae he has developed a taste for coral. I moved him over to the nano last night which is fish only so he will do well in there.

Last night at 4am there was a loud bang from the tank and no power. I installed a new power board and it kept tripping the power.
Narrowed it down to my Sera Heater.