Tank Journal Archive

RNGracias

Apr 6, 2013
Red Sea Max 130D Nano Reef
Introduction: Back in the hobby, after a break, had to shutdown my 300l reef tank in December 2010. Its now a Goldfish tank on the patio. Decided to go a bit smaller to enjoy the benefits and keep the costs low.
Reefing Since: December 1999
System Objectives: A peaceful nano reef with SPS corals, with a view for change in lifestyle, including stress testing my patience.
Type of reef: Nano Reef
Display System: RSM 130D (removed stock skimmer and all items in COD except one stock circulation pump)
Initial Fill Date: March 27th 2013
Display Tank Dimensions: 60" x 50" x 50"
Display Lighting: RSM 130D stock Power compact 2 x 55W half white half blue
Stand: Stock Standard RSM Totem Cabinet
Hood or Rimless: Hood
Sump Design: In progress, back of tank modified and customised for a Life Reef Overflow, planned ahead as I will not be able to resist expanding the support systems in the future, bad habits die hard, keep it simple is good advise, but bio-diversity in a reef is what bring joy in owning a reef tank.
Substrate: Caribsea natural tahitian moon black sand, about two inches.
Filtration: Live Rock 10Kg, with Chemipure and Rowaphos in the media rack.
Support systems:
NSW or ASW: ASW (Tropic Marine).
Display Water circulation: Vortech MP10ES (awaiting delivery) with MP10 Shield (from NAQUA)
Return Pump: Stock Pump (one only), to be replaced with a Tunze nano pump, doing a Steve T circulation pump mod, to keep constant the water level in the COD for the skimmer and to also avoid bubbles in main display.
Skimmer: Tunze 9002, with Steve T standard upgrade cup attached to the Steve T Media Rack (from NAQUA),
Evaporation Top Up: Manual with RO/DI water, (Tunze nano osmolator 3152 being considered)
Refugium: Need one, need to figure this out with this all in one tank, new to the game of Nano tank keeping.
Chiller/ Heater: Teco TC5, awaiting budget availability.
Chemical additions: By weekly water changes as of now, to start with 5-7% twice a week.
Calcium Addition:
Alkalinity Addition:
Magnesium Addition:
Prodibiotics Addition:
Coral Food Addition:

RNGracias

Apr 6, 2013
Thanks Guys
Here is first FTS of the Tank as of today and some shots of the Tunze standard upgrade cup. A bit rusty with the photography,

Tank103dFts1.jpg

Tank103dHood2.jpg
Tank103dHood1.jpg

Tank103dHood3.jpg

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Looks great with the black sand!

Lol I think I have officially lost the plot though, the second pic wasn't fully scrolled down and looked like a borg cube in the captains chair till I scrolled a bit :cool:

RNGracias

Apr 6, 2013
Thanks Guys,
The black sand is awesome, the picture does not do it any justice, once i improve on my photography skills, I will have a better shot posted, there is also a bit of precipitation ( white cloudy powder) from the Tropic marine salt (did not have this issue with the seachem or red sea salts I have used in the past). Reported the issue to AOA, awaiting their response.
The live rock came from my old tank, the rocks were in holding in a Mate's 400L Marine outfit. I got two clown fish in the small holding tank, ready to go, when safe into the tank. The tunze 9002 skimmer just completed its break-in today (took 6 days), pretty quiet skimmer, can barely hear it work, Plan to dial it in for dry skimate down the line.
Still waiting for the MP10ES and the tunze nano pumps from AOA.

RNGracias

Apr 6, 2013
I got the MP10ES, the MP10WES is a wireless model, and useful if using more than one pump in a eco-smart setup, I dont plan to use more than one. Apart for the RF wireless module that comes pre-installed in the MP10Wes controller, the two model are identical, one can order the RF module for the MP10Es if needed in future as an add-on.
the Tunze 9002 looks like it uses some kind of a Mazzei® injector , the air inlet left fully open, the tunze 9002 makes the exact same noise as my Life-reef vs3-24 skimmer. I would expect it to outperform most skimmers in its size.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I have the 9002, though to be honest it's my only ever skimmer so not much to compare it too! Plus I have 0 phosphates so I don't think it has much to pull out ... so hard to judge how good a job it does.

RNGracias

Apr 6, 2013
I have the 9002, though to be honest it's my only ever skimmer so not much to compare it too! Plus I have 0 phosphates so I don't think it has much to pull out ... so hard to judge how good a job it does.
I had an Aqua Remore hang-on with the Aqua Clear 70 pump, on the tank during the cycle period, that is before I got the tunze, once the tunze settles in nicely, I will run a compare between the two, although the Tunze is small and uses a much smaller pump, I would put my money on the Tunze 9002.

RNGracias

Apr 6, 2013
yep, I have a Mp40ES and a MP40wES, didn't know they were still producing the ES, hence the question.

You will be very happy with the skimmer, I loved mine. Believe @MTG has one too
I am with you on the same issue (MP10 Es or WES), and you are not wrong a bit, I received the MP10ES just today and guess what, even though the box says its a MP10ES, the controller inside is a MP 10W, read the notes on the back of the controller and its says "for use with wireless version of the pump", so i guess, I probably saved some money ordering the MP10ES.
I am beginning to like the tunze compared to the Remora hang-on, also with the Steve -T media rack and Tunze, there is space below the skimmer to put in a small rectangular box to hold some fine sand for a small DSB. Investigating the possibility of using the inner container of my life reef overflow, lets see how it goes.

RNGracias

Apr 6, 2013
Updates
  • did the circulation pump upgrade with a MaxiJet 1200 powerhead (lost patience waiting for the delivery of the tunze nano pump), the pump now sits at the bottom of the return chamber (no 3), no more micro bubbles in tank and the water level is adjusted to the baffle height that is there between the 2nd chamber and the 3rd chamber.
  • the tunze 9002 cup was filling up, so did the air-line mod, the simmer stopped overflowing, and is very quiet now, but its skimate production is not what i expected, and leaves a lot to be desired.
  • received the Vortech MP 10 ES, it is installed and running in the reef crest mode
  • added some macro-algae in the display tank using a sleeve container bought from Coles.
  • received the JBJ nano Glo LED set for the Macro-algae, need to figure out how to use it with RSM 130D (it was initially ordered for the CADE Hl450), may have to go with a sump. so ordered a ESHOPPS nano overflow, perfect fit for the RSM 130D (this are similar in design to the Life-Reef overflows).
  • Euro Reef nano skimmer ordered to replace the Tunze 9002 ( this will be moved to the CADE tank)
the Euro Reef Nano Skimmer
NRS3.0-3-2T.jpg

the ESHOPPS Nano Overflow.
eshopps-Nano-Overflow-Box1.jpg

The JBJ Nano GLO LED
JBJ Nano Glow Led.jpeg

Nov 15, 2012
@RNGracias I am looking forward to seeing how this skimmer goes and how it fits. I tried Hydor Slim Skim Nano and does not fit with Media basket mod. Got Tunze 9002 in there now and is loud not to mention does not perform anywhere near as good as stock RSM Skimmer IMO and is super loud :(

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
The skimmer will only pull out what can be removed from the water I empty my cub every few weeks now and it barley has anything in it when I do, when I had a load it was performing much better