Tank Journal Archive

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
A skimmer doesn't skim unless it has something to skim like matt said..like those big tsnk you see where they post pictures of their sump with a skimmer going off..notice their tank is fully loaded with livestock..even your new skimmer would most likely perform like your tunze..unless you heavily stock your tank.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Same as @MTG, I only empty my skimmer cup every few weeks.

The noise is worrying though, even when new it shouldn't be 'super loud' ...

RNGracias

Apr 6, 2013
Update
The tunze 9002 has been taken out to make space for the refugium i.e. the Aqua-clear -50 hang-on with a in-Tank Media rack, to hold macro-algae. The return water falls perfectly into the first chamber of the RSM 130D Media Rack, increasing flow through it.
Here is one top-shot and one side-shot. The JBJ nano-glo led light sits on top of it.
Refuge1.jpg

Refuge2.jpg

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
Macro at that amount is useless, for it to even be useful, you'd need a 20 litre full of macro algae for nutrient export..

RNGracias

Apr 6, 2013
I agree. but it will be grow, Have done this before in the same aqua-clear-50, you be surprised, how fast this grows. I also intend to have Green Star Polyps and Pom Pom Corals, so they will act as additional filters, I am waiting for some member to ship me the american style chaeto.Here is a shot of some growing in a small container in the display unit.
FTS2.jpg

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
I've had chaeto befor just put it inside a container and it grew like crazy, got rid of it and gave it to my cousin. Maybe over 4 years old now

RNGracias

Apr 6, 2013
This is a temporary solution, Until I get the overflow and work out a sump design to hold a DSB, Refugium and a chamber for the Euro Reef Skimmer plus a small chamber for water top-off.
I like dark refugium designs, had one on my old tanks, it was full of sponges, when I finally took it off, It works as a great filter.

RNGracias

Apr 6, 2013
The sump design was finally put together and the order placed with Morley Aqauriums 6 weeks back, here is the layout.
The sump has seen been tested for water leakage, and has just gone in over this weekend, I will post pictures of the setup as soon as possible.
SumpDesign.jpg

The Idea was to make the Sump as flexible as possible.
Option1 : Chamber 1 Euro-Reef Nano Skimmer, Chamber 2 Macro Algae, Chamber 3 Filter Media
Option2: Chamber 1 Macro Algae, Chamber 2 Life Reef VS-24 Skimmer, Chamber 3 Filter Media
Option3: Chamber 1 Macro Algae Caulerpa, Chamber 2 Macro Algae Chaeto, Chamber 3 RDC 250 Skimmer
Other option to use the Chamber 1 a water top-off unit.

RNGracias

Apr 6, 2013
Here is the Eshopps Nano overflow, I had to ditch the original bulkhead ( it was non-standard), that came with it and use a 25mm coupling from Bunning, also the sponge was removed and replaced with a home made Stockman Silencer, I built with a few parts from Bunning's.
The Overflow.jpg

RNGracias

Apr 6, 2013
Here is a shot of the first hour of operation of the sump, with the euro-reef skimmer in chamber 1 . The chamber 3 has Red Devil Diablo 3000 return pump with a manifold to connect to the display tank and to also connect the TC5 Chiller.

DSCF1373.jpg

RNGracias

Apr 6, 2013
A shot of the RSM back chamber with the overflow (right side) and the return pipe (green), the return is placed into a small inner box (taken from another overflow), this is done to reduce the water pressure to avoid splashing and minimize backflow into the sump when the return pump is switched off.

DSCF1387.jpg