Reef Discussion

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Red Sea Reef Energy AB
I thought I would try this to help give the corals a bit of Energy. (So that I could get them to do some light exercise and maybe lift some weights :confused:)
Anyway - I'm using the correct dosage (ends up being 5 drops of A & B daily) and it seems to have given the corals a bit of a lift.
The only thing is it seems to have given the tank water a slight green tinge. At first I thought it was algae on the glass but it wasn't - I think it's caused by the product being a strong yellow colour and the blue lights create the green. Looking down on the tank you can't see the green, it'sonly when looking directly on from the front or the sides. I did a decent water change yesterday and that seemed to cut it down somewhat.
Has anyone else tried this product and had the same result?

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Hey daveH,

We use this is well. Always get that green tinge when its added, but it always clears up overnight. The tank is back to being clear again in the morning. You can really see it when added to the tank & I use this as a guide as to where to pour so it lands umm..there.

Anyone else?

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
I usually add it around the end of my light cycles when just the blues are on. The whole tank glows yellowy green for a bit, but I usually find that it clears up quick. Once the light goes out, you don't notice it. :D
Can't think of a reason to be adding it at any other time than close to or after lights out.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
I usually just leave the skimmer off for half an hour or so after dosing, as yes, the skimmer otherwise seems to take it out. A few people mentioned in another thread that they refrigerate it, of which I do too - the last amino acid supplement I used required this so it seems to make sense. Certainly doesn't seem to hurt.

I'm not familiar with dosing the stuff via a number of drops - how many millilitres does 5 drops equate to?

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Hmm.. those numbers seem about right. Does the colour tinge seem to be getting greater, like it's having a cumulative effect in the tank, over time or has the tinge just remained a constant shade?
Will be interesting to see if anyone else has ever had the same phenomena happen with it.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
It's just a very, very feint green tinge looking through the tank - it certainly diminished when I did a 6L water change. It's not all that noticeable just looking at the tank but it wasn't there before. The skimmer is doing it's job because it clears the tank in about 10 minutes from the disturbance of a water change. Whether the particles cling to the glass or something, Actually I gave the glass a bit of a wipe over to see if that helped but made no change. Weird huh!

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
i would cut back the dosage and add fresh carbon to the tank. you water will stay clear then.

AdrianN

Mar 14, 2012
Adelaide
I've been using Reef Energy A&B for a while now. My tank goes yellowy rather than green but after an hour or so of the skimmer being back on, the tank colour is back to normal.

My lady bought a tubeastrea coral of some sort last Thursday, not a sun coral but something bright orange. My lfs guy said to it will happily eat A&B and to feed it at night when the feeder tentacles are out, so I am shifting from a morning tank dose to a night time tank dose. Just hope the rest of the corals still benefit.

chris B

Dec 14, 2011
Liberty Grove
i have been using this product for a while, when using the reef engery A & B ,

1. Do you mix it together?
2. Do you keep in the fridge?
3. Turn Skimmer ?
4. How many corals do you have in tank?

As i get the green tinge and then let the corals feed for at least 1 hr and then turn on the skimmer after woods.

but it clears up after been cyclyed overnight.

Sometimes i will target feed the corals with the stuff as well , which help them to live longer as well.

The boxes or something (maybe the book) definately says to refridgerate after opening.. i know coz i had to show it to mrs grug to take up space in the fridge..
You can mix it together before dosing.
Instructions say to turn off skimmer for at least 20 mins while dosing or your just skimming money.
to be honest.. i didn't see a massive improvement in my corals at all.. nothing like when i first used redsea coralgrow.. but that was about $36/month rather than 49 ish for 55 days..

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
With the dosing information, when they say 1ml/100L do they mean 1ml of A and 1ml of B or is it half a ml of each to make up 1ml of dosing?

1ml of each.. remember that there is a range of dosing possibilities.. depending on what you are hoping to achieve. i was doing 3ml / 100 L coz my tank was in need of some nutrition..
so i was adding 9ml of a and 9ml of b mixed together in one shot.