Tank Journal Archive

Fmxchick

Mar 9, 2017
Redsea 525xl 3 Weeks In.
What a difference a tank makes.
Apart from upgrading the lights to Hydra 52HD's not much has changed.
Picking up a Maxspect Gyre next week to replace the existing Sicce's and a Kamoer x4 dosing pump. There are a couple of new additions that look to be doing great including a pretty Sailfin Tang, a couple more Hammers, some Zoas, Rics and Scollys.
Absolutely loving reefkeeping.
IMG_0036.JPG
IMG_9995.JPG
IMG_9981.JPG
IMG_9923.JPG
IMG_9926.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0052.PNG

Fmxchick

Mar 9, 2017
That sailfin is gorgeous, congrats!
Thank you, really is a stunning fish.
@lukusis I have a question (thought i'd ask you as your pic has a few hammers in there), what is the ideal spacing between hammers? None of my corals are yet to be glued down as (1) I wanted to make sure they were happy were they are and (2) being new to this I wasn't sure how far to spread the hammers out. I want to make this section a hammer garden but just don't really know how far apart to put them.

Any suggestions are welcome.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Kills me to see your beautiful Sailfin. I had to move mine on to a bigger tank, he was an absolute pig and outgrew his home.

lukusis

Sep 3, 2014
Thank you, really is a stunning fish.
@lukusis I have a question (thought i'd ask you as your pic has a few hammers in there), what is the ideal spacing between hammers? None of my corals are yet to be glued down as (1) I wanted to make sure they were happy were they are and (2) being new to this I wasn't sure how far to spread the hammers out. I want to make this section a hammer garden but just don't really know how far apart to put them.

Any suggestions are welcome.
Here's a better pic of that section from my old nano:
ai449.photobucket.com_albums_qq214_lukusis_Tank_IMG_20141124_104453_zpsa325199c.jpg

The Euphyllias are spread out in a rough circle shape, but on a uphill angle from front to back, so not all bunched up as it appears. There was a good 1-2 inches between the bases. But when extended, they would all touch. didn't have any issues with that.
The Torch was, as you can see, in the same area, but with enough space not to touch anything else (hammer or frogspawn).
The frogspawn, again, far enough away that it didn't touch the others (it eventually died after waging war with my BTA).

Hammers are fine together (in my experience), none of those were actually glued down though, they were sort of cradled at the base by Aqua-Knead-It, so that if/when they grew, the could be re positioned easily.

Torches/hammers/frogspawn are generally fine when kept together. Its when your Torch touches a hammer or Frogspawn (or vice versa) that chemical warfare ensues!

That said, what worked in my nano may not be what works for you in a bigger tank (different flow/lighting etc).
Id say, if they are all happy now, keep in mind future growth sizing, and glue away :)

Fmxchick

Mar 9, 2017
Kills me to see your beautiful Sailfin. I had to move mine on to a bigger tank, he was an absolute pig and outgrew his home.
I'm scared the same will happen to me! I went against my better judgement and got him though...may have to turn my 220gal to a saltwater tank in the future as this little guy is absolutely amazing.

Fmxchick

Mar 9, 2017
Here's a better pic of that section from my old nano:
View attachment 56721

The Euphyllias are spread out in a rough circle shape, but on a uphill angle from front to back, so not all bunched up as it appears. There was a good 1-2 inches between the bases. But when extended, they would all touch. didn't have any issues with that.
The Torch was, as you can see, in the same area, but with enough space not to touch anything else (hammer or frogspawn).
The frogspawn, again, far enough away that it didn't touch the others (it eventually died after waging war with my BTA).

Hammers are fine together (in my experience), none of those were actually glued down though, they were sort of cradled at the base by Aqua-Knead-It, so that if/when they grew, the could be re positioned easily.

Torches/hammers/frogspawn are generally fine when kept together. Its when your Torch touches a hammer or Frogspawn (or vice versa) that chemical warfare ensues!

That said, what worked in my nano may not be what works for you in a bigger tank (different flow/lighting etc).
Id say, if they are all happy now, keep in mind future growth sizing, and glue away :)
Thank you @lukusis. Definitely given me some great advice. Hopefully I can get a section of my tank to look as beautiful as yours.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
I kept a Sailfin Tank for a short while as I bought it along with a load of live rock and corals some five years ago. it was the most personable fish I have ever kept and all my family were disappointed when I sold it. I could never keep it in the tank I had and never intended to.

As for placing hammers/frogspawn/torch, I have several branching hammers. The problem I have with them is that as they grow they expand and so some heads get crowded out

So, if you have the branching types, I would give them extra room to expand. They form new heads on the branches and also some larger heads pinch-in and separate to form numerous heads from the one larger head.

They may also shadow corals places underneath, so for the long-term keep this in mind.

Fmxchick

Mar 9, 2017
I kept a Sailfin Tank for a short while as I bought it along with a load of live rock and corals some five years ago. it was the most personable fish I have ever kept and all my family were disappointed when I sold it. I could never keep it in the tank I had and never intended to.

As for placing hammers/frogspawn/torch, I have several branching hammers. The problem I have with them is that as they grow they expand and so some heads get crowded out

So, if you have the branching types, I would give them extra room to expand. They form new heads on the branches and also some larger heads pinch-in and separate to form numerous heads from the one larger head.

They may also shadow corals places underneath, so for the long-term keep this in mind.
Thank you for your advice @Savage Henry.
Will keep all of that in mind.

The sailfin really does have a beautiful personality.

Last edited: