Reef Discussion

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Nitrates are now undetectable (redsea Pro kit) so I'm very happy :) (still dosing probably ~4ml 5x week 350l DT) although I have allowed my Po3 to increase over the last few weeks to 0.08. Some new RowaPhos should lower this as I also got a small cyano outbreak the last few weeks.

Very close to auto dosing the NoxPo3 and will probably come down a little to 3ml /day. I should also state that this result may also be influenced by a continuous 7l/day water change which has also been running the last 4 months.

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Oh nearly forgot the title of this thread haha. I did add a couple of SPS 3 months ago and glad to say have had no sign of RTN. One piece is a turquoise blue and ahs kept its colour well. Tank is looking awesome at the moment (relative to a year ago) although with the current scape and coral growth probably not as good as it was in the first 18months of its life.

I'll take some pics as this thread is just about dead as there is really not much more to add with regards to NO3PO4X now Im in a maintenance phase

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Yes its a iphone pic and not worthy of Maccas tripod which I have had for 2 years, however its as good as it gets until I ahve the time to work out the Nikon.

tankpic May2014.JPG

just iphone up against the glass ..

Last edited:

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
The green pocci was a small frag that I saved from my dying colony last year. It has doubled in size and colour has come back a full 360 degree around the "branches". I have a high Po4 reading at the moment I thought it was sand bed shifting last week however also just remembered I have not seen my Goby for the past 2 weeks, maybe he's cactus

BlueBolts

Apr 7, 2014
Currambine
Wow, awesome....how will you be auto dosing the no3:po4-x ? Looking at doing the same, but not exactly sure which & how to use/best apply it.

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
@BlueBolts check this out http://thereefuge.com/threads/syringe-pump-for-carbon-dosing.10441/

Looking at your tank (envious :) ) if you do endup carbon dosing, I have enough parts for a few of these syringe pumps

You can also use a standard dosing pump but if you do that vent the bottle to atmosphere through a 1/4" tube and check valve. this is so that you do not loose alcohol to evaporation. This suggestion was direct from redSea. I have installed a 4th dosing pump however thought syringe dosing would be better for this particular product.

@Sam Parker A Pocci frag may not be out of the question. At the moment its growth rate is great however may be 3-6 months away. Its really not in the correct position as the green next to the Blue acro is just not a good combination. I want to grow out the pink birdsnest and blue acro, and try and get the duncan as a backdrop or filler behind the two. The green Pocci will be relocated.

Last edited:

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
This build is in my TJ however thought I would leave this Vid in relation to this thread, which is what started me on how the hell do I reliably dose alcohol (NoPOx) which vaporizes in air, plus the fact Im already using the 3 channels of my regular dosing pump on Ca,Alk and Mg

Im doing this for consistency, not because I am lazy, although don't mind sitting back and letting the tank do its own thing.... Currently Ive been missing a day here and there added to variable dosing anywhere between 3~4 ml when I do dose. Hopefully this way I can adjust the dose to maintain a desired level and keep backing it off until I get a small nitrate reading. Currently Nitrates are undetectable on redSea pro kit so maybe a little too much.

Last edited:

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Over a year on and i am still a happy nopox user.

Currently dosing 1ml twice a day (350l) and running a small phos reator which has 3 small spoons of rowaphos changed every 3 weeks. Phos is about 0.08 when i do a change. Now trying kalk addition so will be interesting to see if i can stretch out the rowa change.

I did crash nitrates to 0.00 about 2 ~ 3 months ago (too much nopox) which in turn caused a bad cyano outbreak. I resisted the temptation to vacuum to see if icould recover more naturally. Cyano went from red brown to black over a period of 3 weeks and although the sand could do with a clean its all clear now. I will do a vacuum and replace 1cm of sand before Christmas which i tend to do yearly. Gives it that sparkling new tank look.

This was my outbreak at its worst, 3 weeks and gone
image.jpg

So you have to be diligent with the dosing, at the time i bought a new bottle and for whatever reason i dosed 2x what i had been dosing.

Current params.
Nitrate 0.25.
Phos 0.03~ 0.08

One of my larger updates.... Stuck at the airport for 4 hrs does that you know

Last edited:

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Still religiously dosing NoPox, 1ml morning and night. so the bottle lasts a very long time.

My Nitrate test kit is stuffed however assume Nitrates are still very low. My Phos still needs a small amount of Rowaphos to keep it under 0.10 and generally runs around 0.07. I change this every 3 weeks but only use 2 spoonfuls in the reactor.

Lowering Phos: On the basis I auto water change 60 l / week (350l DT) and the NSW is around 0.11 po4 its probably doing a reasonable job as my water change is continually adding phosphates. I did try a passive bag of Rowaphos for the last 6 weeks in the NSW however did nothing to reduce the po4 in the reserviour. So today I placed a TLF150 with rowaphos in the NSW reservoir, its about a 25L container I use outside. Its using a small 12VDC pump and provides just enough circulation within the reactor. So I hope the pump is OK for a while and I can run this for a few months in the hope I can reduce (or remove) the amount of rowaphos I need to run direct in my sump. After all this time NoPox should be able to handle my DT Phos load without Rowaphos in the sump on the basis I can get my NSW to ~0.00 po4.

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
@Buddy I'm still using the NOPOX, seems to be very economical, I get 5~6 months out of a 20.00 bottle and religiously does around 2~3 ml every morning. I don't check very often however my No3 is leveled out < 1ppm and my Po4 is 0.03 ~ 0.10 depending on when the rowaphos is changed.

Tank is going OK, I did loose a large piece of sps to RTN (about the size of a hand !) however this was in front of the return pipe and I think I nuked it trying to bring up Alk when one of my dosing pumps had failed and I was too lazy to fix it. this is the only lose Ive suffered in years I think.

Ive been out of Trace & Reef Plus the last 5 weeks however have not noticed a difference in not using it. I'm just waiting for the online store to get some more in and I will re-order.