Reef Discussion

Mel22

Mar 17, 2012
Depends on what corals and how many of them you're feeding, as well as how often, how much etc. It's pretty variable, so can't really specify.

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
Dose is 1teaspoon per 100 gallons on jar-depends how often also as Mel says on feeding

tonyf

Oct 21, 2011
Bexley, Sydney
Depends on what corals and how many of them you're feeding, as well as how often, how much etc. It's pretty variable, so can't really specify.
I've had mine for a bout 2 mths, used less than half. I just mix up about half a teaspoon with a little tank water and target feed. The corals love it. probably do it abut 2-3 times a week. And evry 2nd or third time I mix half a cube of frozen rotifers. Corals look realy good, and boy are they guts!!!

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
I broadcast feed 50:50 reef roids and 100% reef safe amino acids. And target feed my helio and elegance frozen mysis and baby brine shrimp. One or the other a couple times a week.

My Helio is a pig though it tried to eat a dead crab the other day which was about the size of a 10c piece

ryanr

Jun 2, 2012
Templestowe
Hi everyone, even though I'm new here, I'll chime in with my experience.

I alternate Reef-roids and Marine Snow. Both seem to work fairly well. When feeding, I turn my return pump off for about 2 hrs, and let the filter feeders go at it.

Daniel - Bunarong (Frankston) sells reef-roids if you're looking for a LFS.

TJReid

May 21, 2012
Frankston
daniel pop into reeflections they sell it behind the counter.. $69.95 but ill let u know in a month if its any good.. so far corals are loving it and only started to feed them sunday and already showing improvments but i dont know if its just linked to better water and low phos along with dosing the roids..

I used to dose marine snow but heard it's like dumping a large amount of phos into the tank heard roids isnt as bad.. dunno whats better but..

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
Reef Roids are great, I only feed half level dixi cup spoon twice a week. Increased color and polyp extention of all my corals (SPS, LPS). Many people including myself have been able to keep hard to keep corals like Gonipora with Reef Roids. I actually soak my Cyclops and Roids in RO water for about 6 hrs (Allows the Cyclops to re-hydrate so there is more chance in them sinking rather than floating and going down the weir) and then I feed before bed and turn skimmer off and then turn it back on in the morning (Removal of filter sock/media recommended as Cyclops would just get caught in it) . Cyclop is also great. I don't compare them as they are different food for different purposes. As far as costs go, i know its pricy but you do pay for what you get, I use about 2 tubs a year. Reeflections Aquarium sells Coral Snow, Cyclop Eze, Reef Roids, Baby Brime, Napali, Rotifers , Seafood, ETC, ETC and more recommend you talk to them as you are in Vic. Hope that helps.

ryanr

Jun 2, 2012
Templestowe
I feel it only fair to mention that I've now stopped the Marine Snow.

I was probably feeding too much, but I have also read a lot of reports about it being a PO4 factory. Suffice to say, I now have a big problem with PO4. (separate thread)

ausreef

Apr 13, 2012
just a bit of information,when it is recommended to feed cyclopeze this is the US frozen version not available here,the dried products we buy as cyclopeze are far too big for most corals without grinding them down,you can buy a frozen cyclops here made by ocean nutrition, reef roids are also marketed in a nano version for $30 which is not as much outlay in one hit

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
I think it depends on the particular coral, sps you are correct but most nps, lps and zoas seem to love the particle size of the freeze dried cyclopeze

Scottrotton

HTTPS://REEF.EXCHANGE
Oct 17, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Old thread but i thought I would chime in, reef roids 40g 2 feedings per week @ 1 tea spoon is supposed to last about 3 months.

Just been doing my research and stumbled over this thread

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Below is a chart showing the growth rate of various corals when being fed certain foods. Filtered sea water is the baseling. MC is Cap monti

areefbuilders.com_files_2012_03_coral_feeding.jpg