Tank Journal Archive

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
Reef Scaping.... That Actually Went Well!
Went to the LFS today to get mysis shrimp... came out with mysis shrimp as well as a green and purple button coral and green and purple ricordia.

Went back later to get another button coral... one that was green and showed the guy at the LFS my tank and I told him I wasn't happy with the reef scape... So instead of getting a Button Coral I got live rock.

So I went home and said "nope, I'm going to do it.."

I COULDNT BE HAPPIER WITH IT!!!

The tank now has height, depth and looks great!!

All the corals are drama queens in the photo below. @Ranibranch I will microwave them all later, show them who is boss.

IMG_9486.jpg

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
I like it a lot, and have great thoughts about my original nano.....

My lessons learned.....
Don't be too tempted to put stuff on the sand bed, keep it clean and free of frags and place everything on your scape otherwise it can look like a junk yard. Use your nano space wisely you need to maintain some "free" space so the eye is directed to the scape
Maybe a small torch on the sand bed to give a little foreground if you cannot resist.
Now you have a nice scape think about colour combinations of foreground /background corals. When you choose a small coral place it next to another in the shop (maybe a cheaper one) and then start to see how an average looking coral paired with another of different colour or shape / height compliments one another. So buy two corals at a time and know where the pair will go. Otherwise you'll end up like me in the start and cannot resist that one coral every so often and end up with a tank full of non complementary corals.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
I like it a lot, and have great thoughts about my original nano.....

My lessons learned.....
Don't be too tempted to put stuff on the sand bed, keep it clean and free of frags and place everything on your scape otherwise it can look like a junk yard. Use your nano space wisely you need to maintain some "free" space so the eye is directed to the scape
Maybe a small torch on the sand bed to give a little foreground if you cannot resist.
Now you have a nice scape think about colour combinations of foreground /background corals. When you choose a small coral place it next to another in the shop (maybe a cheaper one) and then start to see how an average looking coral paired with another of different colour or shape / height compliments one another. So buy two corals at a time and know where the pair will go. Otherwise you'll end up like me in the start and cannot resist that one coral every so often and end up with a tank full of non complementary corals.
Great advice!

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
and make sure you be able to scrap off algae from your wall tank (left and right) without touching the corals or LR.

Space here space there :)