Reef Discussion

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Reef tank background colour choices
Hey everyone,

just wondering if anyone had any ideas for different coloured backgrounds that looked cool?

classic black is out

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
hmmm i just had the whole house repainted except this bloody wall. what do you think it would look like naked with the sand stone suede effect wall in pic two behind it?

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Any colour but blue!! Any shade (edit. of blue) looks crap imo.... but i like black so i'll shut up :p

The white looks good and I recon the suede would look good too.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
yeah id have more chance of getting black lights than i would a black background and i was told that that was a snow mans chance in hell

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
Don't get depth with white and the sandstone colour-if this isn't an issue then go for it.
have you thought about a non- uniform background with different shades of purple and blues mixed together

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
I have used the plain white wall before, it did a good job IMO, it did make it easier to see all the little critters on the rocks, also made corals stand out a little differentaly, But overall i would rather go with a black.
You could always go with a "midnight blue" lmao

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
other option is to have a removable background that you can affix to the wall so that if the colour does not work out like you intended you can change it easily

tonyf

Oct 21, 2011
Bexley, Sydney
If it means anything, I remember seeing Nils tank, and that had no background on it either. I remember how great the tank looked, see through, kinda gave it more depth. But I don't remember what the colour of the wall was. Hope that helps a bit. So I guess what I'm trying to say is it the tank itself that made the impact. (in saying all that I actually have a black background and love that too);)

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
yeah i agree a good tank stocked with shit will look like shit no matter how good your set up is these all seem to be 1%er's on the overall effect.

Im still hoping to see Nils tank he was the one who actually made me think of going bare back

the light blue dosnt look so bad on a nice open tank, this has always been one of my favorites but I dont think i have the restraint too keep it that open and lightly stocked

home_2.jpg

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
I'm painting my cabinet with Dulux Rust.... figured it ties in with salt water ;)

Maybe a feature wall behind the tank like a rusting wreck. Not sure how it would look as a background but i'm hoping the cabinet will look the part :confused:

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Am I going blind or is that tank very badly photochopped into that lounge room scene?

I personally cant stand the look of blue backgrounds on tanks... If you are not allowed to go black what about a textured slate/grey colour?

Or just leave it naked and let coraline go ape shit on the back! Natural, purple, textured colour would look great.

V

'vspec'

If you like your render wall theme to continue, then go for it I say. Its your house after all.
I dont know how you applied it, but when I did my wall and my tank stand in Moroccan sands with a green clay tinter, I used a sea sponge exclusively.
It gave awesome depth and texture. If it comes time to do your tank BG because you think you need it, tweak it with the edition of more aquatic colours in a random dabbing fashion, then go over it with your walls background colour. Test cover glass with a sample pot will tell you everything you need to know!

V

'vspec'

If in doubt, crack a beer and sit on the couch.

Admittedly the lawn is now a rainforest, the cat made it back to Russia, the wives has shrunk to 2, and its harder to change the channel due to my fingernails curling, but hey, its a tried and proven method that works!!