Reef Discussion

parrdog

Sep 19, 2011
Engadine
My opinion is that I love the light blue in the first shot, it looks so crisp and makes the tank look so bright. I don't like the darker blues, though.

I love no backing as well, as long as you can't see cords, when you can see cords or pvc pipes it looks crap.

I must say though that keeping it clear and having a sandy coloured wall behind it would be a disappointment. In my opinion it would dull the colours in the tank. Just think how tanks look when there's brown algae going on or brown corals, they look really dull.

Good luck with it Ads,
Jamo.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
If i go the vortech there would be fairly minimal cords, it would just the the light, which i could run down the black silicon seem and the vortech would would be on the side anyway.

If i go naked first and and change my mind, how hard is it putting a vynal back on afterwards with only 8cm of room to work in behind?

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
never done vinyl like this( presume you mean signwriter's vinyl) but i think it would be hard with such a limited space as you'd need to try get all the air bubbles out. was hard enough putting on a new background for my FW tank just using the usual plastic sheeting that doesn't stick to glass with about the same amount of space

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Adam I allways found cardboard cut to size worked great latter on. I actualy found it better then vinyal wish I did cardboard this time. (won't be hard to add on latter on )

Sidd

Jul 15, 2011
I like black and gives the perspective of bigger depth. Plus the back gets covered with coralline anyways lol.

V

'vspec'

Cardboard...ewww, thats classy! lol

How does that stack up to moisture and spills?

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
it dosnt, it also gets dark patches where it gets wet and then sticks to the glass

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
I have done the cardboard thing in the past and it looks the part for a little while until the moisture runs the colours. It is however easy to fit to an established/installed tank. I use black contact, the kind you put on your school books. It is available on bulk rolls from my hardware store, Mitre 10, in the paint section.

I would never attempt to attach it to the back of the tank while it is in stalled. Apparently you can use soapy water to keep it from sticking straight away. The idea is that you spray soapy water all over the back of the tank, fit the contact sticky side down, then using a squidgee, squish all of the air out from under the contact and as the soapy water dries up the contact will stick. I havent tried this with the contact I bought as I couldnt get a stratight answer as to wether it will work or not. It would be worth a try if you have a piece of glass to practice on.

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
I have a friend who can supply industrial contact for backing tanks in just about any colour you want use a squirts bottle with plain warm water get it in place and squidgee the water out ! That's how we did mine.

If anybody is interested let me know measurements and colour I'm sure we can figure something out

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
Im not a big fan of this but a friend puts a mirror behind the back to give the tank twice the depth. didn't look too bad - but not my style

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Im not a big fan of this but a friend puts a mirror behind the back to give the tank twice the depth. didn't look too bad - but not my style
I have seen this done but only on planted tanks. It looked ok on a small tank but I think it would be pretty average on a big one, also freshwater tanks dont seem to get the same amount of build up on the glass which would really look crap when reflected.

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
In a marine tank where many species must be kept singly it would cause aggression with the reflection yeah ?

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
considering my bangaii attacks my TLF magnet cleaner id think you are right