Reef Discussion

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
So today I read a news article about a family taken to hospital after cleaning out their tank and 1 of the corals caused a chemical imbalance in the tank.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/br...2628cf32fda6f397bd14cbb2391427a0?from=htc_rss

My question as a new reefer is, what are the main do's and don'ts of this hobby to keep it safe and enjoyable?
Something is really off with that article ... if what the jorno wrote is 100% representation of the scenario, I don't believe it one bit.

Do wear gloves all the time to avoid nasty sting.

Fmxchick

Mar 9, 2017
Something is really off with that article ... if what the jorno wrote is 100% representation of the scenario, I don't believe it one bit.

Do wear gloves all the time to avoid nasty sting.
Yep, I def do the gloves when handling coral.

Ben Daley

/dev/null
Dec 23, 2016
Melbourne
A far more appropriate headline is "Paramedics thwart natural selection again!".
I wouldn't worry about it too much - I think the water/electricity combination is more of a danger personally.

Azfish

Sep 23, 2011
Sydney
Read the same article this morning and thought, there is more to this story than what they are saying .... ' dropped a coral into the water ' and poof!! chem cloud in the house?! yeah right, methinks they were cooking crystal ;)

Fmxchick

Mar 9, 2017
Read the same article this morning and thought, there is more to this story than what they are saying .... ' dropped a coral into the water ' and poof!! chem cloud in the house?! yeah right, methinks they were cooking crystal ;)
Lol there seemed to be a few comments made about it being a meth lab...

Ben Daley

/dev/null
Dec 23, 2016
Melbourne
It's an expensive hobby - don't judge :p

Fmxchick

Mar 9, 2017
Sorry for the newbie question but why does 1 scrub coral? Or are they meant to be saying scrubbing coral off rock? Or were they only scrubbing the rock? I see that they look like they have collected rock not coral and what the hell are the jelly fish like organisms they are talking about?

Got to admit, I'm a little freaked out about moving things around the tank atm, especially since I am now rescaping the tank...:eek

https://www.facebook.com/7NewsMelbourne/videos/10155379392209301/?pnref=story

Azfish

Sep 23, 2011
Sydney
From the pics I saw, it was live rock they scrubbed ... maybe it had paly's/zoas on the rock and the scrubbing caused friction which vaporised the paly's/zoa's and created a palytoxin to be released into the room .. im just talking crap, the whole thing makes zero sense to me ... maybe they tried to cook the rock? or maybe they tried to smoke the coral? maybe i've been smoking corals and just want to keep writting whilst the corals kick in?

Fmxchick

Mar 9, 2017
From the pics I saw, it was live rock they scrubbed ... maybe it had paly's/zoas on the rock and the scrubbing caused friction which vaporised the paly's/zoa's and created a palytoxin to be released into the room .. im just talking crap, the whole thing makes zero sense to me ... maybe they tried to cook the rock? or maybe they tried to smoke the coral? maybe i've been smoking corals and just want to keep writting whilst the corals kick in?

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
I'd stick to nibbling on the occasional mushroom... But make sure you choose the right ones!

Actually, seriously I'd also suggest wearing goggles/safety glasses when doing any work on corals or even on live rock as you can end up with gunk or grit in the eye.

I usually don't wear gloves and I have heaps of palys. I do end up with slime on my hands from them. Obviously, I make sure I thoroughly clean my hands after working in the tank.