• Dimensions ( 25cm x 15cm )
  • Ceramic shaft
  • Suitable for fresh & salt water
  • handles solids upto 8mm
  • rated for 24/7 use
  • 10m power cord
  • Extremely quiet and reliable
  • Made In Italy
  • 3 Year Warranty ( including impeller )
IMG_5022.JPG

They are supplied as above, ready for pond use and most users remove the cage and just use the pump on it's own.
IMG_5023.JPG

I have always liked the idea of running two return pumps for redundancy or equipment failure, but this one pump could supply the display and chiller feeds along with all the media reactors.

Any opinions?

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Personally I ran a Laguna for years and it was faultless. Quiet (maybe not the quietest, but quiet).

Just remove the cage and run the pump only. Be aware the pump won't stand up - it has no base (you've already pointed out removing the cage).

Not sure what size your tank is - but these things are beasts. My 11,000 LPH model ran a head height of about 2m through 25mm pipe (not flex). The output was "T'd" - 1 ran down 8' of tank and the other pointed downwards. It still managed the ripple the water (ever so slightly) 7' away.

And the power cord on them is massive.

The only reason I don't run it now is it was to powerful and I downsized.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
ASsuming you are running internally as well as (from memory) the inlet wasn't water tight.

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Thanks for your comments Macca_75.

You raise a good point about the base. I will probably put one together with some acrylic. Something like my skimmer's pump base.

On a side note, the Red Dragon 2 (old model) pumps all use the Laguna block as the base design and modify the internals to suit.

And yes, it will be run internally.

The tank is going to be around 1000 L and after calculating headloss, chiller feed and two manifolds, this seems to be the pump that has the correct flow.

I am planning one return on the opposite long end of the tank.

I probably should step aside her because if you know me you'd know what i'm going to suggest... Far cheaper and its DC... who can guess? I have no reason to believe my pump is not reliable or capable of the job over the long run. I have two of them as one was going to run in a 2x2 cube but I canned that project. So now I have two. If ever anything where to happen, I have a replacement.

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
No need to step aside with your recommendation, I'm happy to hear your input.

There are so many varied opinions about gear and equiment. I just try and find people who have had successful reef tanks and try to emulate their methodologies :)

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
I run my chiller on a separate little DC fish street pump. This was done to match manufactures flow rate recommendations as well as real life conditions.

I have experimented with pipe work design useing examples from well known reefers who do run a chiller off the main pump return..... Having too powerful pump blew a hole in my chiller heat exchange section resulting in a big water leak. Fatigue or manufacturing defect I'm not sure but the chiller was out of warranty.

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Yes it is important to macth flow rates to your chiller. The reservoir is a plastic holding tank inside the chiller and the seams can be cracked or placed under stress if there is too much pressure.

This is also a considerstion when cleaning the chiller. Some people run a hose through the outlet to backflush. Keeping the flow rate low will avoid this.

The DC pumps look interesting and I will get one for water changes.

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Another note about preventing unnecessary backpressure within filters/chillers/fluidised reactors & calcium reactors is to place an adjustment valve before the item.

I quite often see valves placed after equipment and this pressurises the equipment and places a demand on the gear itself, along with the seals.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I've been running the Jebao DCS return pump for well over a year now and have absolutely no complaints at all.
My main criteria was that it had to be truely quiet because it's right next to us in the lounge. It passed my wife's test - so it IS quiet!!!
You really can't beat the price or the build.
I originally had the previous model which wasn't all that quiet, but now it's stored away as an emergency backup.
When I put this system together I was prepared to pay the big bucks for a suitable return pump and still ended choosing the DCS - happily.
Also, I do run my chiller and UV off the return but they are both individually valued beforehand.

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
I've been running the Jebao DCS return pump for well over a year now and have absolutely no complaints at all.
My main criteria was that it had to be truely quiet because it's right next to us in the lounge. It passed my wife's test - so it IS quiet!!!
You really can't beat the price or the build.
I originally had the previous model which wasn't all that quiet, but now it's stored away as an emergency backup.
When I put this system together I was prepared to pay the big bucks for a suitable return pump and still ended choosing the DCS - happily.
Also, I do run my chiller and UV off the return but they are both individually valued beforehand.
Thanks for posting you experience with the Jebao DCS daveH - I missed reading your post :)

n0rk

Aug 10, 2011
Brisbane
But it's not cool enough because there's no bling factor. Gotta have that Red Dragon goodness to be cool bro!

The Lagunas are pretty much faultless until you start doing things like running the large ones (eg. 16000L/h) externally with no cooling - then you'll start melting coils. Otherwise, they're hard to beat for the dosh.

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Don't worry n0rk, The RD3 speedy will be making it's appearance on my skimmer to bring it up to spec soon :cool:

Geoff is more than happy with his running at 1/2 the power of the RD2 :)