Reef Discussion

E

ezza

Revolutionise My Pipes!
Last night my Aqua Medic return pump vibrated the hose off, and swiftly sprayed 10L of water around my lounge room. I need to fix it NOW. It is beyond frustrating. I picked up a ball valve from Masters and an irrigation riser- whether or not I use those pieces is pretty much irrelevant. I want to attach valves to the overflow pipe and the return pump (and I would like there to be rigid plumbing on the return instead of pliable tubing which slips off even with zip ties).

I need help to work out the right bits to use and how to plumb it. I'all put up a pic of the sump shortly- just at swimming!

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
Is the spot with the yellow zip ties where it comes off?
A hose clamp would securely keep the pipe attached with no chance of coming off. A nice stainless one would do the job nicely.

Does the pipe where the return hose connects have a thread?
If it does you can get a female threaded pvc adapter and run to the return pump, it will need a threaded connection as well to not have any hose connections as you already have.

Even when using rigid pipe running some flexible pipe before it is a good idea to dampen any vibrations from the pump.

So maybe you're better off sticking with the flexible pipe and just install the hose clamp?

athawoot

Sep 16, 2015
Yeh I second the hose clamp, that would definitely solve your problem.
You can buy bits from Bunnings to make yourself a manifold type setup which can just be attatched with clamps either end and as many outlets as you desire( provided your return pump can handle it) you'd still need to use soft pipe but you can try secure the manifold somewhere if you'd like.

I run hard pipe and a length of about 300mm of soft pipe to my return and even that can sometimes vibrate like crazy, I personally wouldnt go full hardpipe unless it was with a good dc pump

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Can you screw a male thread into the pump , hard pipe thereafter finally screwing into the bulkhead?

Easy ??? Or alternatively screw female thread onto pump with short piece of clear pvc hose going over the barb of the pump , with straight barb thread adapter?

Mines hard piped all the way ... Put the pump on anti vibration mounts to reduce the hum.

Attachments

E

ezza

Is the spot with the yellow zip ties where it comes off?
A hose clamp would securely keep the pipe attached with no chance of coming off. A nice stainless one would do the job nicely.

Does the pipe where the return hose connects have a thread?
If it does you can get a female threaded pvc adapter and run to the return pump, it will need a threaded connection as well to not have any hose connections as you already have.

Even when using rigid pipe running some flexible pipe before it is a good idea to dampen any vibrations from the pump.

So maybe you're better off sticking with the flexible pipe and just install the hose clamp?
It actually comes off at the underwater bottom end where the pump goes into the pipe- it is severely inconvenient. I have plastic hose clamps but cannot for the life of me get one the right size. I have smaller and larger clamps but nothing "just right". I have a zip tie around the pipe, but the damn thing slips. The clear pipe seems to just be too slippery (and the vibration likely does not help).

I don't believe the inflow pipe connection under the tank bottom is threaded. I wrapped Teflon tape and have 3 zip ties there and that is secure. The lower end I have a lot of trouble with generally because of the physical position I have to be in to attach to the pump. There is a threaded ring that holds an unthreaded pipe joiner on. There is at least an inch of the tube inside the soft pipe. This pump has been good functionally, but it was difficult to attach due to different gauge to my previous one. The pump can only sit in one position within the sump due to its size and shape and stuff. I don't have a back up pump yet, though I am going to have to buy one. I just need it to be failsafe and easy!!!! :(

IMG_0404.JPG
Sorry it's a bad pic. The rear clear pipe is the return.

IMG_0405.JPG
I bought these bits, but might get something better/different.

E

ezza

Can you screw a male thread into the pump , hard pipe thereafter finally screwing into the bulkhead?

Easy ??? Or alternatively screw female thread onto pump with short piece of clear pvc hose going over the barb of the pump , with straight barb thread adapter?

Mines hard piped all the way ... Put the pump on anti vibration mounts to reduce the hum.
I don't really know what I can do. Plumbing is a little like electrical to me... I can manage some stupidly basic stuff, but there is a lot I'm not sure about. I struggle to figure out how to use the bits available to make what I need.

athawoot

Sep 16, 2015
Have you tried cutting a larger piece of soft pipe so it's abit too long so it has slight force down on the pump to help it not pop off?
Or even get those rubber mats from Kmart and pack your pump up so the pipe has abit of force so it can't come off

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
I think the problem is the small bit of pipe being used as a spacer for the smaller diameter outlet of the new pump. If the pump has a threaded connection you can find a female thread to barb adapter which will hold the pipe much more securely.

Something like this:
image.jpg

E

ezza

I think the problem is the small bit of pipe being used as a spacer for the smaller diameter outlet of the new pump. If the pump has a threaded connection you can find a female thread to barb adapter which will hold the pipe much more securely.

Something like this:
View attachment 55224
That is what the pipe looks like. It's an Aqua Medic Eco Runner. I will take some measurements and go stand in the plumbing section of the hardware shop to see if I can find the answer. I'll chat to my LFS too.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
The Pope Poly Ratchet Clamps come in 3 sizes - 13mm, 19mm and 25mm - and are available from Bunnings - one of these should fit your pipe :confused:

upload_2016-10-14_10-39-24.jpeg

rgh

May 11, 2015
Flexi-clamps are your answer.
Cheap, strong, re-usable - I used to do a few group buys of these back in the day.
Zip ties are rubbish by comparison, I wouldn't run a reef tank without flexi-clamps!
As is don't have enough posts to post a link, google - the current .com.au distributor is ERPS, they have an online shop.
A 5x300mm and 5x450mm pack with tool is $10!

is this off your chiller?

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Never mind... I see they must be similar to the top pictures hence your post
You'll find them at the plumbing stores or Bunnings - spend time in the irrigation section and plumbing section, I got lost there for hours dreaming about pipe work.
Loved every minute frothing over it , be prepared to factor at least four visits to the plumbing suppliers into your build.

You'll find them at the plumbing stores or Bunnings - spend time in the irrigation section and plumbing section, I got lost there for hours dreaming about pipe work.
Loved every minute frothing over it , be prepared to factor at least four visits to the plumbing suppliers into your build.
isn't is incredible how much time trips and money you can blow on plumbing. I have so many spare fittings its not funny. I'm hoping to at least salvage my unions and all the screw fitting I can from my current pvc setup.