Reef Discussion

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
In mushrooms, there is Ricordea, Discosoma, Paradiscosoma, Rhodactus and Actinodiscus. The correct way to write a local race, what that colour truly is, would be Ricordea yuma var. Super Orange. Colour variations do not always make it a new species.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Yep, with rics they are either Yuma or Florida. Technically there shouldn't be floridas in aus, but there are a fair few of them about

Sorry for the late reply guys... give that bit of foot a cut and watch the magic happen. I have done it heaps of times and on one of my most prized Rics too. The pup will grow just like it would if the ric let it go itself.

ps. I bought an orange rick for $80 and he was only 6-7mm across... took forever to grow out. Since then I have chopped him up three times now into four pieces each time. CHOP!!!!
They have always grown out and I have currently four quarters growing out in my frag holder.

E

ezza

"Super orange" it is! It's a bit of a bummer it can be so hard to get accurate taxonomic classification details. I used to study horticulture and I'm just used to filing such things away in my head.

I have had my large orange Ricordea for a few years but it has never thrown a pup. Given its size (and value) I have always been reluctant to take a knife to it. During a recent talk with @somethingfishy76 he mentioned that a new ric will develop if a part of the foot can be seperated from the rest of the foot.

So, this is a picture of my ric a short time after the lights turned off last night - it has begun to withdraw slightly and you can see a perfect place to seperate part of the foot.

View attachment 55044

@somethingfishy76 - do you agree that this looks like a perfect place to put the knife into action?
Again I apologise for the late reply, perfect spot to cut yes. This is typically where the ric will leave piece behind but this might take ages, so I tend to simply help the little guy make up his mind. I have with the one I just fragged, cut it off the rock completely as he had a long base. Then I had a complete ric to frag and a stump" that quickly turned into a new ric within a few weeks.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
It's a bit of a bummer it can be so hard to get accurate taxonomic classification detail
I'm not sure what you mean by this - Ricordea yuma is the full, official taxonomic name :)

World Register of Marine Species (WoRMS)
view in classification Species

Last edited:

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Y'all have bugger plums than I do. I am more nervous than a virgin on prom night when I get in high dollar stuff like that and there's NO WAY IN HELL I'd go chopping on a $300 Ricordea. My last bounce shroom box was $2800, 7 bags 24 shrooms and $407 shipping/CITES/clearance!:dead Needless to say, that box rode in the front with me.

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
I had a chance to take a picture last night after lights had been off for a while - these two pieces of the foot seem to be going OK, and there should be another one under the right hand edge of the ric,

One week down ...

View attachment 55118
How are they going now?
About the time u did this I removed two small babies from my ric rock and put them on a new rock to get some light. 1 has grown quite well to the size of a finger nail but the other has melted away.