Tank Journal Archive

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
OK, I think that ritteri is in the middle of a split. Woke up this morning and it's tucked in in the middle and it's about 50cm long. It's been looking "weird" for the better part of a week.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Well, if the bastard's splitting it's taking its damn good ole time. :mad: I talked to the guy who had his split and he said they can take a few days to complete so I dunno. I'm in uncharted waters right now.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
It's almost like the damn thing can't make up its mind whether it wants to split or not. It stretches out, then it's back to its original disc shape. I've talked to a few colleagues and they say it can take up to a month to complete as the gastric cavity heals before the split happens.

In other news, just happened on a Marineland 93 cube that's 30x30x24. Might go look ta it this weekend.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Well, it's now March and the damn thing hasn't split, still stretches out and goes back into shape. The ritteri moved off the back wall and onto the rocks and hasn't moved in a month. The Orange Skunk clowns are cleaning the rock under the ritteri, getting ready to spawn.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I talked to a few people who have had them split and they all agree, I need to feed more often. I feed once a week, they feed every 3rd day so I will be following their lead. I really want this to work out to offer an alternative to wild caught stocks.

I have been talking to a diver down your way as well. He said he's seeing ritteris moving further and further south because of climate change. He said that 10 years ago they were VERY rare on the southern end of the GBR, but now they're showing up quite often, 2 at a time on quite a few reefs, green base ritteris too.