Reef Discussion

Shaun3350

Feb 19, 2014
Shepparton
Road Trip !!!!!!!!!!
Hi Melbourne people

I'm heading down the Mornington Peninsula this weekend and wondering what stores are worth a visit.

Thanks
Shaun

gtrxu1

Jun 25, 2012
Where are you coming from? The only one I can think of is Bunarong. I think they are getting a load of stuff in this week.
Yep they have a shipment tonight which will be available tomorrow in store.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
If you are on Eastlink Fish world in Dandenong is worth a look for their coral selection (it's 500m from an Eastlink exit from memory). I think they are still re-doing their fish section though.

athawoot

Sep 16, 2015
Try bunarong in Frankston, or head toward city way you have Mentone and reeflections,

Shaun3350

Feb 19, 2014
Shepparton
OK well we are home. So my thoughts on the couple of shops we visited.
First was Bunarong in Frankston.
Took a lot longer to get to than I thought and then released we had been there.
So I'm gunna give some basic scores based on what I look for in a store.
I've been in the retail/customer service industry for over 25 years... So that's what I'm basing it on.
Staff... Knowledge, Friendliness and customer service.
Hello as I walk in the door is shit... 1 out of 10
Cleanliness- 9/10
Stock Quality-9/10
Stock Quantity/variety-8/10
Value for money (based on other stores and online) 7/10

The biggest disappointment was the lack of service. 2 teenagers that where cleaning the front of tanks was it.
I probably would have bought a bucket of salt it was only $80 but had never heard of the brand.

Next was Mentone. I've also been here previously, 3 or 4 times in 10 years.
Staff 0/10. was ignored by all even someone who appeared to be the manager/owner was doing water changes,
and barged past us without even an excuse me.
Cleanliness 10/10, obviously its all the staff do.
Stock Quality-8/10, several sick fish and corals
Stock Quantity/variety-8/10
Value for money 4/10

Next was Moorabbin.
Staff 0/10. Hello on the way in. Do you need some help on the way out. GET OFF YOUR ARSE AND PHONE AND CLEAN THE JOINT UP. ALSO TURN THE BLOODY LIGHTS ON
Cleanliness 2/10, Over crowded Over stocked skinny walk ways, dark and dingy
Stock Quality-7/10, Display tanks are awesome, stock for sale average
Stock Quantity/variety-4/10 bit hard to see with no lights on
Value for money 0/10 No idea the prices on the tanks had nothing to do with what was in there.

OK the boss had had enough by now. So off to the motel.

Next day Heallesville sanctuary behind the scenes tour. Got a red tailed black cockatoo to feed out of our hands AWESOME.

Driving home avoided Greensbourgh. OVER PRICED on previous experience.

And obviously Deerpark is always on the way home.

Deerpark is Great.
If you are a noob go to Deerpark. No bull just honest advice every single time I go there.
Staff 12/10. Always checking if you are OK no matter how busy.
Cleanliness 9/10.
Stock Quality-9/10, anything that is not doing to well you are told about and price is reduced... UP TO YOU
Stock Quantity/variety-9/10
Value for money 11/10. No rip offs here.... Just an example live rock is $9.95/kg.. The next cheapest other I'v'e seen is about $15, usually $20
Ended up buying 10kgs of live rock and some other bits and pieces.

This is my opinion of the ONE day I was there it does not mean things will not be any different when you visit.
Also discovered The shop in Lilydale has closed this week due to a lack of support.
Please support your LFS it sux mine is 2 hours away....
Hope you find this helpful will check out some more next trip...

Shaun

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Haha sounds like you rate staff pretty harshly, but couldn't agree more about everything you said about deer park. Hands down my favourite and it's why I do an hour each way once a week.

Shaun3350

Feb 19, 2014
Shepparton
Customer service is all I know. Its been rammed down my throat since I was a teenager. I hate it when you feel like you are interrupting someones time to get served and worse yet ignored. If LFS want to stay open the only way to compete with the internet is service.
I have to drive 2 or 3 hours for a decent LFS. That's why I want service. None of the stores I went to except deerpark know how far I've driven to get there and it shouldn't matter. The last trip I did down that way every store said "you should of been here yesterday I sold most of my stock".
or Something similar.

Anyway Deerpark and Sunbury are always on the way home.
Yet to find anywhere else worth visiting.

Shaun3350

Feb 19, 2014
Shepparton
Are there any regular visitors to Coburg, Williamstown or Reef and River in Geelong on here. I have visited all three stores regularly over the years but they all seem to have declined slowly.

Shaunmills

Jan 1, 2016
Melbourne
Are there any regular visitors to Coburg, Williamstown or Reef and River in Geelong on here. I have visited all three stores regularly over the years but they all seem to have declined slowly.
Coburg Aquarium is only a few mins up the road from me...been there a few times but I feel dirty every time I leave :)

Seem to focus more on tropical and their salt tanks are less than impressive.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Coburg Aquarium is only a few mins up the road from me...been there a few times but I feel dirty every time I leave :)

Seem to focus more on tropical and their salt tanks are less than impressive.
The old stores here back in the 80s were that way, enough dirt on the floor to grow potatoes. :dead