Tank Journal Archive

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Wow, been dosing 100% reefsafe alk/ca, mag and amino acids for the last few weeks. My parameters are raised slightly to what they had been running previously however corals have never looked better. My two blue clams are sooo blue its great. I now also put ~3-4ml strontium in the ATO and use tropic marine zoo/phyton soaked in the amino 3 times a week. Don't know what it is or if its just raised parameters however clams are loving it. params are not way over the top by any means ca 450 8.8 alk, 1250 mg (need to raise this)

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
On my to do list

Profilux equipment on order 3.1N controller, moon stick RGB thing, shipping today
Need to order new dimmable ballasts for the T5 power module from the UK
Need to order more profilux gear... level sensors & 1-10V breakout boards for the T5 and Vortech wireless controller. cool !
Fit alternative bearings to the MP10... Ceramic ones installed which were ordered incorrectly. New bearings ordered from Dandenong so lets give them a try.
Change RHS scape to move rocks around.

besides that not much to do......

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Profilux Equipment to control

Cooling fans & ATI ligth fans (PropellerControl)
ATO via two float switches & Tunze 12V pump
Temperature Schego 250W heater
flow control via vortech wireless
Moon light via Simu-L tri colour lED bar
ATI T5 dimming for three 1-10v Ballasts

1 x GHL ProfiLux 3.1N Starter-Set, Australia PL-0908
2 x GHL PropellerControl-2.1 PL-0265
1 x GHL VorTech Controller PL-0757
1 x GHL ProfiLuxSimu-L LED Sun|Moon|Blitz, Stab
2 x GHL LBF-AP Light bar - control board PL-0067
2 x GHL PL-Floater Level sensor, floater PL-0077
1 x GHL YL2-1 Splitter, cable 1m PL-0096
1 x GHL PL-LY Splitter for 2 level sensors PL-0081
1 x GHL VSL-1 Extension cable
1 x Schego Titanium Heater 250W

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Got a flame angel a few weeks ago from reflections. It looked really nice and plump and thought I would give it a go for some red in the tank. Fingers still crossed however its been a model fish, pecking at the rocks however not touched any corals or clams thus far. It took a week or so to fit in and now swims happily with the rest of the crew.

Just did an overdue water change after probably 6 weeks. Should do it more often as really only takes 30 minutes. My parameters are also in better shape as I have more diligently noted readings and made calculated adjustments to the dosing schedule, marine magic pumps. Now I feel its under control Ca 450, alk 8.8 (3.1) and mg at 1300. Im going through about 2 litres of ca and alk in less than 2 weeks which is double what it was consuming 6 months ago. Glad I swapped to 100% reefsafe stuff with my current consumption the kent turbo calcium would of cost me a fortune.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
we want pics,
we want pics,
we want pics.......

Good to hear the Flame is working out - they are a really striking Dwarf angel - one of the best looking IMO.

Still need a few Bangaii floating around though :cool:

How's the Profilux going - got it working yet?

Sidd

Jul 15, 2011
I also once had blue spots on the blue tang and after feeding it garlic it vanished.

Do your purple tang and blue tang get along well?

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Sid. All fish get along very well, blue and purple are like best friends !

Macca don't talk about bangai I watched 5 die in 2~3 weeks which would not eat. I am not that obsessive yet to really care about fussy feeders, I am really lucky with my current mix of fish. Although f a member had some I would re-consider.

Need to find some time to setup profilux, have not even powered it up to have a play with the programing.

I also lost a really large snail which was probably polluting the tank for 3~4 days, the smell stayed in the house for an hour after I pulled it out.

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Understanding its risk with my purple and blue tang, could not resist a powder blue. It was in such good shape and the size I thought was perfect, best I ahve seen for the price. Purple did not appreciate a new house mate as even when powder blue was in the bag acclimatising purple was getting a little upset trying to attack through the bag. After ~ 6 hours the purple has settled down, no damage to either fish as yet. fingers crossed they will sort it out. Plan will be to remove the blue tang at some stage, when I can catch it, and leave the powerder blue and purple as the dominant fish. I am hoping I can get 2 years out of the fish before they move onto a larger tank.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Glad to hear they seem to be sorting themselves out.

The egg create is out the front if you find yourself needing it.

But wheres the FTS???

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Fish Updates and some not so good iphone pics however all I got time for now. (macca I do not deserve having your tripod still on loan :D )

Coming from a freshwater tank for 10 years and only keeping one species (Discus) I have struggled with marine fish selection hating the so called "community tank" for freshwater and with now with a 4' tank really no option for any schooling fish in the marine world. So I have changed my criteria and tried to select fish based upon how they contrast against one another and the scape.

Coris Wrasse -great addition ate all my flat worm and any other worm it comes across, very peaceful and reef safe. Provides the yellow colour I was looking for without going another tang...(You can also see my Zenia curtain starting to emerge behind the scape. another few months and should create a great backdrop to contrast the foreground corals. Lights only just come on so not in full extension and clam just starting to open up)
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v319_rjconway_rhsnov2012.jpg

Flame Angel - Think you get the idea now... was looking for a red fish and took the gamble on a flame angel being reef safe. Great addition to the tank and its sooo red, fabulous addition has not touched any corals or clams.
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v319_rjconway_flameangel.jpg

PowderBlue.. OK this guy was going to replace my blue tang however they seem to get along very well, they even eat Norri together so looks like the Blue can stay. The colour of the powerderblue although not intense has more of a "regal" look. Although the purple tang has a bit of a chase every now and again seems to be settling in. Has taken over one side of the tank and luckily not behind a rock and always in view. This pics a bit washed out does not do him justice and will try and change the pic over at some stage..
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v319_rjconway_powderblue.jpg

Blue Tang: Although a dumb fish has learnt a lot from the purple tang especially when it comes to eating. Actually shares a rock cave and swims with the Purple tang, kind of weird. Blue,Purple and coris hang together often brushing up against one another.
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v319_rjconway_bluetang.jpg

Purple Tang . The self proclaimed Boss, need I say any more.
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v319_rjconway_PurpleTang_1.png

Other not so favorite fish :
Small Clown pair -I will keep them however would not replace if one decided to go surfing on the floor. Orange does not contrast well against the other colours in the tank now. A black pair hosting my Rose BTA would be awesome and will be something in the future. No rush as the RBTA is happy facing the back of the tank at the moment :( If it ever comes out I'll find a home for the clowns and get a pair of Black Percula's
Blenny Does not add too much in the way of colour or character and would remove to another tank if I could catch it.
Royal Dottyback This guy is not too aggressive luckily however again adds little to the tank. As its aged colours are not so intense. Again would remove if I could catch it.

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
The constant changes of marine tanks in looks and inhabitants are the drawcards for me switching over from freshies, I loved my fresh but just not a lot happened even with a couple of fish with personality it wasn't that exciting after a while.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
One of these days I am going to bring my camera around and shame you into taking some decent snaps.......

Glad to hear the PB settled in nicley - once of my al time fav's...

In fact you have nearly all of my wish list - PB, Purple, Flame. All you need are the Bangaii:D

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
I cannot starve another 5 Bangaii to thier death. Maybe I just got a bad bunch and they would of gone regardless, and yes, I know, I did not ask to see them feed at the LFS.... Although I have now read they can be difficult feeders. So far after a year, the dead list consists of : Those Bangaii's and a red star fish. Really liked the star however only lasted 3 weeks. Anybody have any comments about a star fish. Really liked the look of a small star roaming around the glass.

Macca Maybe over Christmass we can do a photo shoot :D

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
I am very worried about my hard corals. Lost a milli to RTN 2 weeks ago and woke this morning to see another acro on the turn... Have really no clue in what to do however may try a melafix dip tonight. The lastest acro is just sitting on a rock so very easy to remove.

Hate loosing the milli and maybe this acro however if it gets a hold of my Stag I will be really pissed.... I have no way in dipping the stag. In fact as I type I may just throw the Acro away right now. Frigg'n SPS

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
what I know about keeping SPS goes on a postage stamp, but can you just frag the affected bits off in a hope to save the majority of it?

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
I ended up loosing three of those millis to rtn after the move but one is still brown and alive lol. Does rtn spread?? Tag in vpreef ;)