Tank Journal Archive

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Within a day rtn consumed 70% of the acro so just took it out. Acro has been ok for 10 months and growing well. Wow travels fast.

Andy.. Milli went first !

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
To scared to mess around with it as that one is very replaceable as it simply sits on a rock ledge and nothing really special although it was a good size. I will be paranoid for the next few days/weeks as i watch for any signs of rtn on other corals.

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Now my base parameters are stable thought I will try for the next level.... Looked at Redsea products however stumbled across the zeovit nano pack and started to read about the 4 coral enhancing additives from the range. Now the nano packs only have 4 x 10ml supply so just purchased larger qty. I decided to keep with the reefsafe amino acids for now. My params are stable including phos 0.01~0.04. now the tank is 12 months old. Never been able to test low value nitrates so also got a redsea pro nitrate test kit.

Currently Dose the following coral food:
Tropic Marine - Zooton & Phyton alternate every day and soak in reefsafe amino acid for 1 hr
Total Cost $3.50 per month

Just purchased for enhanced colour (calculated usage rates):
Pohl's Xtra Concentrate 500ml (5 month supply)
Pohl's Coral Vitalizer 50ml (10 month)
Sponge Power Concentrate 50ml (10 month)
Total Cost $20.00 per month

Did the monthly WC 50 litres... and a really good clean of the glass and the weir. Its kind of good having a shallow weir as its easy to clean. Before Christmas may get 1/4" sand off the top and top up with new sand. Its getting a little low in the front. Although I only every vacuum every 3-4 months.Although I have a bit of a hole in the scape in loosing a couple fo SPS veerthing else is looking great. My two clams really appreciated the WC and a good dose of Amino acids I think they look huge this afternoon.

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
Pohl's Xtra is a very good product. Worked wonders for me in my last tank.

Just make sure you only use it while your phos/nitrates are very low otherwise your sps will brown out.

Btw, Were you at Reeflections on Thursday night?

Also curious, did you add some fresh carbon right before your Mille Rtn'd?

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
1. Thats great news -hope the 4 products work hand-in-hand and I don't go down a cyno/algea path
2. Good to know thanks... I purchased the nitrate kit so should get better than the crap API kit which reads in 5 ppm increments
3. No.. did not make reflections this week
4. Yes I did :confused:..... Although its not a new pot and I had used it for the last two carbon changes.. I normally use 2~3" of carbon in a TLF150 reactor however this time I did use twice as much.

My Green Finger Leather Coral which is generally full has been retracted for the last week as well. It does this sometimes for a couple of days every 2-3 weeks did not think anything of it. However today when I did a 50 lt WC, guess what started to come back out !

I am taking the carbon reactor offline NOW ! I have also just ordered (today) another larger 5000ml carbon so now questioning myself should I be using carbon at all ? May switch to zeovit carbon. I see they say soak in 90deg RO for 24 hrs prior to use. vpreef What do you know, ???????

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
In my previous tank, everytime I went to add carbon i noticed that my Mille would RTN.

I lost one of them the first time , second time i managed to save a piece of it.
I also had my Dallas start to bleach at the bottom too. This was using Kent marine carbon.

I never used Carbon after that and sps were fine. I ran Rowaphos only.

On my current 8 foot i am using Zeovit carbon and also am having a couple of frags rtn on me. However it has slowed down now and things are looking better.
Just wondering if carbon can cause RTN, im not too sure.

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
OK thanks VP....my lessons from the last week:

Mille's are difficult don't be tempted again :D !
I'm going to try and change across to Zeovit carbon however now more watchful on its effect to SPS. Although I do not think my current brand is bad, I'll just swing across to Zeo inline with the other products.
I will also follow instructions and rinse with 90 deg RO and let soak for 24hrs before use. (Not too difficult)

Tanks looking great today will do another 50L WC next weekend. Really want the nitrate kit so I can get an understanding of the reading prior to additional water changes.

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
you get what you pay for ?

Thought I would save a couple of bucks per zeo bottle (and it was only like a couple of dollars) arrived today and a use by date of March 2013. I'm going to complain as the larger bottles should of lasted me 10 month of normal dosing.. Doubt they will refund or discount as they generally do not answer emails anyhow!. Lesson learned.

Anyhow thought I would dose every second day for a month or so before going daily.. From the products I have any idea what time of day to dose coupled with can I just place the three drops straight into the DT on top of the vortech for circulation ?

I would like to use a stag as the reference point as it has gone darker over the last 12-16 weeks since being put into the tank. OK the start of the Zeovit feeding, will still use carbon & rowaphos, I'll check my nitrates over the weekend now I got the test kit.

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
Doesnt really matter what time you dose them. I usually dose just before lights out though.

I always dose in the sump just before the return pump.

With the expiry dates, dont bother they will just tell you the dates dont matter and their only on there for the euro market which is crap.

I just bought a large bottle of Biomate $100 that should last me over a year and expires in 3 months. And that was not from the cheap ass store, it came through from the aus distributor.

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
I converted my Tunze 9011 skimmer from 240VAC to 24VDC. Its also way more powerful and another 240VAC out of the water column. 50% more skimate although this week it doubled the skimate (100% more) however I did disconnect my ozone gen when I had rtn problems. I run ozone for 3 hrs a day at 10mg only for clarity.

Did a check on params now I received my new Nitrate kit redsea pro kit which joins Ca, Alk and mg

Nitrate= 0.0
Phosphates -0.0 (Hanna)
Ca = 450
Alk 9.9 (3.55)
mg 1300

Thought my params a little high so I have slightly lowered my ca and alk dosing by a few seconds. Using marine magic dosing pumps set to S2 and dose 8 time at 50 seconds each for both Ca and alk. Its taken ages to trim the times and now I dose the same amount of Ca / Alk and can maintain the correct ratio. I use the 100% reefsafe stuff. Seems to mix well.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Good to hear your level of skimmate production has increased and you're getting the dosing dialed in.

The tank never stops improving does it Rob. Just need your photography skills to match :-)

I'm a hack photographer but maybe time for a quiet drink over Xmas for a few hours ;-)

Maybe if get some RAW Pics a guru on here can post process them...

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Zeovit: I can see a zeovit change developing with only a few days of dosing. I have a hard coral thats round, kind of like a toadstool. It has washed out to a near white/bone coloring. In the past 6 days I can see it turning ever so slightly green with a pinkish hew developing in patches, I'm on my way.

Coral: Got a pale blue stag from Billy (ringwood) yesterday. Its really a test to see if I can keep its colour this time. A previous blue stag (pale again) did brown out very quickly. Interested to see how this one reacts to my new found Zeovit colour dosing schedule. I have a green finger leather that seems to be retracted more than the green polyps extended. Have not worked out quite yet when it retracts and comes out. Seems to ahve a mind of its own.

Carbon: I got another lot of carbon and put the carbon reactor back online. Since the milli RTN I have not used carbon as I am sure thats the cause after VPreef comments previously.. I put in a about 2" (TLF150) (back to my normal amount) and see how the coral goes.

Fish :What I have also noticed just recently is that my Royal Dottyback is no longer washed out in his purple colour. Not saying zeovit has done this however he is back to his younger self in respect to his bright colours. & its not my imagination -he's probably 3 years old now and had just assumed it was the age. Powderblue has really settled in well with only the occasional chase from the purple. Powerderblue and blue tang actually swim together. I did get a scare when I added the powderblue as even when it was in the bag acclimatising the purple was attacking the bag....I am so lucky with the fish temperament I have and do not want to push stocking anymore.

RBTA : Gotta get this out of the cave its hiding in. Feel like trying to tie it down around the neck ! It was around the back of the tank however now tucked way up in the roof of a cave. It has a couple of shafts of light where you can see it, tentacals still look full however really only fed it a couple of times since I had it. I think its hiding away from the flow however with just two MP10's its not like a continual hurricane, more like a strong random flow pattern (using paired pumps in nutrient transport mode).

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Nice work Rob!

I recon VP gets kick backs from zeo his got me looking at the carbon dosing bottle lol

After my move 3 of those milli frags rtn'd :( They had browned anyway and VP said they rarely get there colour back BUT I still have one which was away from the others and in the last few days the very tips have turned a pale aqua colour! Im not getting my hopes up, especially in my tank with the nutrients going up and up.... but if it ever gets its colour back ;)

At least if your nem is tucked away its safe from wandering into a mp10! Any chance to rescape an area of the tank to suit the conditions it wants ie make a little cave that's visable to you but shields it from the flow?

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
OK had this stag for about 4 months, went dark quite quickly however did have a tnge of blue when purchased.. A week of zeovit and its either doing a "green" RTN from the base up (which it better bloody not be) or its turning green ! Don't tell Macca I took this shot with an Ipad then subsequently emailed it ! Hope you can see the green starting to come through from the base up. If it does completly turn green thats OK however was purchased as a blue :confused: , it'll be a lot better than the washed out brown colour it is now. I have another large stag which was purchased a lot darker more of a purple and this has kept colour well.

The other side of this stem and others has more green however difficult to get a shot from the front.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v319_rjconway_stag.jpg

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
params have gone a little crazy this week although not too far offscale....maybe the zeo has changed the uptake or equilibrium.

Ca 460
Alk 8.4 (3.0 mg/l)
mg 1400
Nitrate 0.0
Phos 0.0

taken my mg dosing offline for a few days and will test to see when it comes down ~1330 and reinstate mg dosing. Upped the alk dosing and lowered the ca dosing. May have to tune it back in now with Zeo additions. However with the few drops of zeo the tank gets would not of thought it would of changed the base parameters however something has changed. & just when I thought I had the dosing under control :(
Was strong this week and gave reflections a miss...Money better spent on an exhaust upgrade for the car