Tank Journal Archive

jart

Apr 10, 2015
Rock Dilemma/question
So I have a selection of both live rock and base rock at my disposal in scaping the new tank. I have been inspired by other reefers' approaches to scaping, including (not necessarily all together):

a) minimalist aquascaping, leaving lots of swimming room; and
b) towers and multiple overhangs/shelves

I think I have the room and rock to do a bit of both. Initial thoughts are for a bommie that has some height to it and some overhangs. Then a second lower structure with some arches/hiding places.

Other factors:

* two of my favourite rocks have had intermittent, but persistent, algae issues (not sure exactly what type). Definitely not hair algae or bubble algae. Thought it was bryopsis for a while, but there is no branching or fern like appearance. The algae is green, about 5-7mm at its longest, looks like lots of individual sticks. My favourite rocks have a few small patches of this algae on them (not covered entirely). Have tried picking off and scrubbing with brush, both of which work, but a few weeks later the algae has come back. Ideally would like to acid bath and cook these two rocks before placing in new tank. Other possible factor is the presence of a half dozen red and blue morphs on one of the rocks that I would like to preserve if possible. Lastly, to build the structures I envisage I would need these two rocks as the base.

* since starting my reefing adventure I have for two periods used dechlorinated tap water in my tanks (with these rocks in there) - big no-no I know. Once happened right at the start, before I knew better, when I purchased my initial fill from the LFS thinking it was NSW. Pretty sure now that it was tap + artificial salt. Then later on I had an accident with my RODI filter that put it out of action for a few weeks - no time to get to LFS for RODI, so again used tap for about a month of top-up (held off water changes). Concerned a bit that I have extra phosphates in my rock from the tap water that will over time leech into my new tank's water. Not sure though how much a problem this is, given the above level of exposure to tap water.

Questions:

* anyone like to hazard a guess as to what type of algae I am dealing with? obviously hard to do without pics

* preferred methods for removing large and small morphs off a piece of LR? Thinking chisel a layer of LR off and then glue the LR to a frag or another large piece of LR?

* If I do a fishless cycle on the new tank, can I have the DT completely empty other than sand and put my rock all in the sump? ie. 1/2 of my cured LR and the base rock will sit in the sump to seed the base rock and help minimise parameter spikes. Rest of my LR remains in my current 2ft cube until my 2 rocks are cooked, put in new tank and cycled. Acid bath and cook my two favourite pieces of rock for a few weeks to minimise risk of bringing algae issue across to new tank. Does this sound like a viable plan?

Thanks, J

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Google Caulerpa , that's my guess on the type of algae you had.
Fish less cycles are the preferred method these days.
not as has on the fish . If you add live rock it will eventually cause a cycle to begin , people have often helped it along with a prawn (as in a dead seafood one) .