Reef Discussion

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
i guess just keep in mind if you're going to be spending money try get something with a little bit of control, i know a lot of people just want something simple you know on/off, dim/increase but if you can get something that does all this for you then IMHO it is worth it...ill admit i dont use a great deal of the controls on my mitras and thats partly because i havent been bothered and works fine outside of the box but then again it is preconfirgured with its sunrise and what not...a lot of people say it is all wank factor and what not but if you could have this for a $100-$200 more rather than buyying cheap and chunky timers...i dno thats just me

i wont lie i really wanted to a custom one for that DIY factor but yee....the only DIY LED ive seen that i absolutely loved...is this one hes on our forum too

http://www.thereefuge.com.au/board/threads/diy-cree-led-build.1317/

http://www.thereefuge.com.au/board/threads/diy-led-project-mkii.4419/

Scottrotton

HTTPS://REEF.EXCHANGE
Oct 17, 2012
Sydney, Australia
i guess just keep in mind if you're going to be spending money try get something with a little bit of control, i know a lot of people just want something simple you know on/off, dim/increase but if you can get something that does all this for you then IMHO it is worth it...ill admit i dont use a great deal of the controls on my mitras and thats partly because i havent been bothered and works fine outside of the box but then again it is preconfirgured with its sunrise and what not...a lot of people say it is all wank factor and what not but if you could have this for a $100-$200 more rather than buyying cheap and chunky timers...i dno thats just me

i wont lie i really wanted to a custom one for that DIY factor but yee....the only DIY LED ive seen that i absolutely loved...is this one hes on our forum too

http://www.thereefuge.com.au/board/threads/diy-cree-led-build.1317/

http://www.thereefuge.com.au/board/threads/diy-led-project-mkii.4419/
If it is a few houndred more then i would deffo go for it but its not everything as you say. I would like a surise and set, I would also like disco mode lol. when I have partys n stuff but im sure the little fish wouldnt like it much ;).

I will read through this article now but one of the main reasons I see not to go DIY is becuase of all the additional features you get and obviously alot less hassle1

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
i found the rsm lid (light hood) to be the only part i found ugly on it!!
if you want to keep it tho DIY is probably the best option!

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
i found the rsm lid (light hood) to be the only part i found ugly on it!!
if you want to keep it tho DIY is probably the best option!
Remember that this isn't the the RSM 130/250 enclosed hood, it's actually pretty slick I think - can see why you want to keep it, Scott.

Is your unit hinged etc like this?
ai.imgur.com_8udf1.png

Get us some dimensions and pics if you can, will help advise ;)

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
no i know what hood it is theres one on display at RS as i said personally i find it ugly :P

Scottrotton

Oct 17, 2012
Sydney, Australia
I like the way it loks but also the way it works, its great being able to slide it back and forth and lift the panels up, I also think it looks decent, I went the check some illumagics out at aquaristic and they do a decent job of lighting the tank and seem to work well but it would look pretty crappy with that on top, they dont even do it in white from what I can see so it would stand out like a sore thumb!

Scottrotton

Oct 17, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Remember that this isn't the the RSM 130/250 enclosed hood, it's actually pretty slick I think - can see why you want to keep it, Scott.

Is your unit hinged etc like this?
ai.imgur.com_8udf1.png

Get us some dimensions and pics if you can, will help advise ;)

I will try get some tonight. I remeber measuring it and thinking its a bit of a dodgy size but it good things are the huge heatsinks, across all of the hood, I doubt i would need a fan for cooling, do t5s get hotter than LEDS in general?

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
these are the aquapads....they're pretty budget looking and they dont seem to look too good i dno if it is just how they had them set up

they were on display at auburn

SCOTT (2).JPG

SCOTT (1).JPG

Scottrotton

Oct 17, 2012
Sydney, Australia
these are the aquapads....they're pretty budget looking and they dont seem to look too good i dno if it is just how they had them set up

they were on display at auburn

View attachment 10513

View attachment 10512

After you said they had them in I went for a drive and I must say they did not impress me in the slightest, I hope they werent running at 100%....

there not cheap either

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Drive up to aquariums at Asquith and have a look at the Eco xotics. You can always add a canon to the mix pointed at a bombie

Scottrotton

Oct 17, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Drive up to aquariums at Asquith and have a look at the Eco xotics. You can always add a canon to the mix pointed at a bombie
I will go this weekend, never heard of these guys before always looking out for a decent LFS, whats the coral selection like while im there ?