Tank Journal Archive

Trentwalsh

Dec 21, 2013
Werribee
Rumours.....
Rumour has it that my blue acro?or stag? Has growth tips?

White/purple tip on the main stem tip......

Got this from willy about 3-4 weeks ago and for abit it has lost some colour and browned a tad on the main stem due to phos/nitrate id say... But yet gas growth?

I will be uploading 2 pictures from yeterday, and 2 from the day it went in my tank... It looks a tad smaller now but thats because it broke off the frag plug and is now lodged in some rock deeper...

Attachments

E

ezza

When you have high phosphates and nitrates, SPS go crazy and start to feed voraciously on all those excess nutrients. They look good for a short time until the zooxanthellae explode with exhaustion and the coral browns out and dies. It happened to my tank over Christmas. It is not really possible to keep SPS with high nutrient levels. If nitrates are over 10, it's bad, phosphate should be 0. It's super important to read legitimate and reliable sources and ensure your water params are as perfect as can be. SPS are just used to extremely high quality conditions.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
When you have high phosphates and nitrates, SPS go crazy and start to feed voraciously on all those excess nutrients. They look good for a short time until the zooxanthellae explode with exhaustion and the coral browns out and dies. It happened to my tank over Christmas. It is not really possible to keep SPS with high nutrient levels. If nitrates are over 10, it's bad, phosphate should be 0. It's super important to read legitimate and reliable sources and ensure your water params are as perfect as can be. SPS are just used to extremely high quality conditions.
This is why I don't keep any except for Hydnphora and a couple other (questionable) sps corals.