Tank Journal Archive

E

ezza

I am really loving the positive feedback these wavemakers are getting, now I just have to decide if I need 1 or 2 of them... Any advice? The AR400 is 60cm deep and about 132cm long I think.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I am really loving the positive feedback these wavemakers are getting, now I just have to decide if I need 1 or 2 of them... Any advice? The AR400 is 60cm deep and about 132cm long I think.
Just one rw8 I would say. Only reason for two would be random flow or waves (ie syncing them), no need for flow strength or coverage I would say.

E

ezza

I would love real waves and function. I do find myself leaning toward the idea of two. Then I started to toss up between the rw8 and the rw15 and now I am crippled by indecisiveness.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Got my delivery from Fish Street (AU Warehouse) yesterday, an RW8 Wavemaker and a DC3000 pump (either for my biopellets or return, I have an Eheim 3000+ doing the return job right now).

So anyway, the RW8. Bit bigger than I imagined, but not too bad on the back wall against the black, just the damn white impeller stands out a bit.

But the power, oh man ... I can't even run it at 10% on any of the modes except W1 (pulsing) without losing my entire sandbed at the front of the tank.

On W1 I can go up to 40% and get a great wave movement happening around the tank, so happy with that. The only challenge is that the wave makes the overflow noisy as it sucks in air on the downward waves.

So need to decide whether to stick with it or sell it on and order an RW4 instead. Wish I had read up on the ridiculous power these things have vs size of tank and ordered an RW4 to start with (the fact they aren't available from the AU warehouse and hte desire for strong SPS-ready flow swung me to the RW8).

Might monitor for a week or two and see how the overflow noise goes.

Love the pump otherwise - silent, easy to control, good length of wires to the controller/power etc.

You know you can just put a power supply on it that's half the voltage of the one it comes with (i think its 24 so you get 12) and that will halve the power of it so 100% will be 50% 10% will be 5% etc

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
I would love real waves and function. I do find myself leaning toward the idea of two. Then I started to toss up between the rw8 and the rw15 and now I am crippled by indecisiveness.
I have mine on about 40-50% and I have a wp40 and my tank is a 4x2x2, so in a 5 foot two rw8's could be too little unless you are adding on. You could go a rw15 and then dial it down like leo suggests

daves88

Jul 25, 2014
Considering replacing 2x Mp10's

Whats the differences between the WP & RW models?

What do you guys recommend for a 3x2x1.5 sps dominant setup?

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I have mine on about 40-50% and I have a wp40 and my tank is a 4x2x2, so in a 5 foot two rw8's could be too little unless you are adding on. You could go a rw15 and then dial it down like leo suggests
Based on my experience, 1x RW15 or 2x RW8s, though I reckon 1x RW8 would do a damn good job alone. Though to note, you can get a damn good wave going with one unit. They have speed of pulse function that you can tweak according to the length of your tank.
Considering replacing 2x Mp10's

Whats the differences between the WP & RW models?

What do you guys recommend for a 3x2x1.5 sps dominant setup?
Again based on my limited experience in a 700x700x300, 1x RW8 will be more than enough for a 3ft tank.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
This was on 40% I think, pulse mode. I love the wave but the noise it creates in the overflow is too much, so I purposely have it set against creating a wave now.

E

ezza

I do love it. I'm now trying to convince my husband to let me have a new mattress, so I'll have to wait a few weeks till next fish budget comes in and I can afford it. Maybe I ought to sell some coral!

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Small update. It seems much if the issue I had with the pumps and their power was the substrate I was using. Now it is 'settled' I'm running the pump at 50% and glad I got this size after all.

I still need to adjust the pulse speed to ensure no waves as that would risk overflowin the edge and makes my overflow noisy in between waves. Still get great water movement just more random than waves.

Still very happy with the purchase and would recommend to others.