Reef Discussion

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Rw8 Vs Rw4 Wavemakers
I read from few people that have tried RW8 in 2 foot and seems like the flow is just too much and have to be dialled down to the minimum.

The following is flow rate comparison between its younger brother RW4 and RW8:

500 - 4000 L/h vs 700 - 8000 L/h

At the moment, I am running RW4 at its full capacity and pointing upward to the surface.

I was thinking of getting 2 x RW8 but reading from the comments by @Wrangy and @chimaera , I freak out a bit.

Are they really that powerful?

As I am running full capacity of RW4, wouldn't half capacity of RW8 matches that?

I guess the intention of getting bigger wavemakers so when I upgrade in the future, I can still make use of it.

What's your thought on having 2x RW8 on a CADE HL600 2 foot approx. 200L volume with view of gearing towards SPS in the future.

awww.fish_street.com_images_products_editor_rw4compare2.jpg

Isn't it better to have more power and dial down as required?

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2013
Palm Beach
"Isn't it better to have more power and dial down as required?"

No doubt about it. Over powered pumps are really useful when on for a couple of hours, to export nutrients.
Bear in mind, pumps will decrease in flow as they age, specially DC and low quality like Jecod. Also, some modes work better with more flow and vice-versa.

My 2x RW-8 were slightly overpowered in my 2foot, but it only lasted a few months. They are now set to max power and I had to add an third wave-maker.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
@Franklin Dattein your 2ft is the CADE HL600?

From memory, when they were new, what was your max capacity? 60% before it blow water out?

This is the sort of information am looking for. Thank you!