Tank Journal Archive

hurlza

Sep 22, 2014
Sad Day :(
12007331_10207525870085130_1481273462_n.jpg
12025283_10207525869725121_946322158_n.jpg

Last night I came home to find my female clownfish (rose), lying dead on the sandbed. Cause at current stage in unknown, she did however have some blackish substrate in her mouth. My other clown is doing great, showing no signs of illness. There is this strange blackish grey substance on the sandbed at the back of the tank, unknown what it is but my nitrate and phosphate levels are pretty normal (5ppm and 0.05ppm) and my salinity is about 1.021-1.022 (always has been low and seems to have no ill effect to inhabitants as i also keep a small nudibranch and its been alive for months now and showing no signs of dying), don't test anything else but do do plenty of water changes, between 15-40% weekly depending on the amount of algae I see.

Apart from this bad news nothing much has happened. In the coming weeks i will be borrowing a macro lens so ill post up heaps of shots and possible a video. Corals are going great, I now have something like 8 rics (mostly tiny pups) and my awesome pink spotted mushroom which i love at the moment has left 1 pup and it looks like it will be another in the coming week.

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
RIP Rose...please dont tell me that the male clowns name is Jack....?
WTF is that stuff in the corner? Can you somehow get a better photo?

hurlza

Sep 22, 2014
RIP Rose...please dont tell me that the male clowns name is Jack....?
WTF is that stuff in the corner? Can you somehow get a better photo?
The corner is just Zoas. Also your close with Jack, if you are referencing doctor who. My other one is called The Doctor haha

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Sorry to hear about your loss. It's even more sad by the fact that one of your clowns has lost a partner.

How long have you had them for? Her stomach looks a bit indented, was she feeding OK beforehand?

Once the grieving has past, you should be able to buy a female to take her place.

You are probably aware that you are going to have to address the issue of the nudibranch. What are your plans?

hurlza

Sep 22, 2014
Sorry to hear about your loss. It's even more sad by the fact that one of your clowns has lost a partner.

How long have you had them for? Her stomach looks a bit indented, was she feeding OK beforehand?

Once the grieving has past, you should be able to buy a female to take her place.

You are probably aware that you are going to have to address the issue of the nudibranch. What are your plans?
I've had the clowns for like 4 or 5 months now. Was feeding fine, did notice she wasnt as excited about feeding the day she past but didn't think much of it.

Honestly have no idea about the nudi, thinking of removing it soon as i know its near the end of it's life. But at the moment it seems fine, i dont understand how they can go for like months without feeding!

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
If you do buy a new one buy the smallest one you can find. Buy a small male and let the biggest one change. Your current male may change between now and the introduction of a new one.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
If you do buy a new one buy the smallest one you can find. Buy a small male and let the biggest one change. Your current male may change between now and the introduction of a new one.
Wow, yeah didn't think of that.

Was going to mention that when I bought my pair (wild caught) I first bought the female and then two weeks later went back to the same shop to buy the male, but it had been sold. I bought a different male (effectively breaking up another pair). However, in my tank the new male and the female bonded immediately. So I was going to suggest buying a new female with the thought they should bond straight away.

But, how big is the male now? My clowns grew soooo slowly. After three years the male would be lucky to be 5cm.

hurlza

Sep 22, 2014
Wow, yeah didn't think of that.

Was going to mention that when I bought my pair (wild caught) I first bought the female and then two weeks later went back to the same shop to buy the male, but it had been sold. I bought a different male (effectively breaking up another pair). However, in my tank the new male and the female bonded immediately. So I was going to suggest buying a new female with the thought they should bond straight away.

But, how big is the male now? My clowns grew soooo slowly. After three years the male would be lucky to be 5cm.
My male is tiny, so i was planning to buy one a little bigger as i dont think i will be able to find one any smaller. Im gonna get a black and white one too.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Sorry to hear about your loss. Wild caught clowns can carry a myriad of things that won't manifest until stress weakens them.