Tank Journal Archive

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Sad Times In A Challenging Hobby.
Today is a sad day for me in this hobby....
A day that I've been through once before and I was crushed!!!
Before the reefuge was a forum, years ago I went through this event of loosing all my fish to a virus, that event caused me to shut down and sell out leaving an empty space in both my heart and lounge area.

9 months later I picked up a second hand aqua one ,dusted off that sad day and grew an awesome nano tank into a full coral donor tank for Aitutaki.

Having that nano tank was like a quarantine tank for better things to come.

Setting up Aitutaki was done methodically , to the point where I seeded the tank with coralline on day one and by the two or so week mark I was growing coraline all over the glass. Never had any fish issues prob due to not adding
fish and if I did it was a rare occasion with the fear of going through a tank wipeout.

By contrast Serenity was a bit rushed from moving house , loosing all my frags in the move and dumping half the water from the temporary pond that housed my fish into the tank and using tap water since there was no money in the fish tank fund for replacement RO filter cartridge. Well needless to say saw my first bit of coralline after about three months.
It was around that time when my skimmer impeller broke followed by replacement Cal reactor pump and further tinkering to get alkalinity right.

They talk about stability being the key to a successful reef , well that said my alkalinity has been everywhere from 10 down to 6 - this will not only shut down growth of SPS and prob cause all kinds of other problems.

In the fish department I have had a lot of fish pass through the tank. In an effort to have a beautiful reef , five anthias were introduced.
Three were as tough as anything so I added more but that number went back down to three again. The next fish was a mandarin which went well as there were heaps of pods due to no carnivores in the tank. The fine balance was upset as recently I added a dragon wrasse who was a greedy little thing. He would gouge out on pods to the point when I thought his belly would explode.

I can't really put my finger on what happened but over the course of three days it looked like the mandarin was not active , I did not think he had starved to death as he was not skinny and no symptoms.
Next to go was the dotty back, he looked panicked and not happy for a couple of days and then I found him dead with no visible symptoms. The Kole tang was next, he lost his colour and developed white spot which blew out to velvet like mucous over night. I knew he was not coming back when he jumped the tank.
Clowns went skinny and velvet like along with the dragon. The last two anthias had bulging eye and white spot.

I tried what I could with ginger , cupramine and lower salinity and hospital tank.
I think treating marine fish is a tricky thing and by no means have I ever got it right.
Viral, fungal / I think if I had access to some of the decent hi power stuff they use at quarantine facilities there could have been a better outcome.

Running a mini Eco system is not going to be easy , when it's good it's great - when it sucks , it hurts the see the suffering.

My tank will now run fishless until I get the courage back to put some back to into Serenity.

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
Sucks to hear that mate, the lows can be heart breakingly low sometimes in this hobby, especially when that same low hits you more than once.
I'm sure that courage will return fierce and we'll see fish back in Serenity in time.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Sorry to hear bud, sometimes I think once the symptoms become apparent the problem is already well along and there is only so much we can do.

curly747

Aug 13, 2013
Curl Curl
This is such a tough hobby. You can take a lot of care and do everything right and still have these times when things just don't go right. You often have no idea what went wrong but create a story around what you think you know. I am having a bad time lately losing a few "new" fish. Some of my coral that have been going well for a couple of years are suddenly going not so well. I am back in the guessing game tweaking this and that and spending lots of money. It's such a tough hobby.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
This is such a tough hobby. You can take a lot of care and do everything right and still have these times when things just don't go right. You often have no idea what went wrong but create a story around what you think you know. I am having a bad time lately losing a few "new" fish. Some of my coral that have been going well for a couple of years are suddenly going not so well. I am back in the guessing game tweaking this and that and spending lots of money. It's such a tough hobby.
Tweak one thing at a time and wait for two weeks to see the result in the corals....
On a happy note my pink Millie frag, completely dead and bleached from recent algea rock scape removal and wire brushing has spouted pink today. Would never have thought it possible to come back like that.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
That's just devastating Nils :( I'm really sorry to read that :( I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that all the corals continue to take off and do wonderfully :) It's hard seeing your animals sick or injured so I can only imagine how tough this was.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Omg. No. I am so sorry. If you remember I lost a lot of beloved fish with massive ich outbreak. We nearly gave up & sold. But it was all the kind people & words from this Reefuge family that kept me in this hobby. Please stay , don't do anything drastic. Sometimes in this hobby things suck. But you are a very caring reefer, would be an absolute shame if you didn't bounce back. :(

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Sorry to hear mate.

all the best with your remaining corals, but I'd probably just keep some really easy corals for a while, preferably ones that grow fast and spread quickly so you can get satisfaction out of them. I'd also suggest you put in one or two of your most favourite hardiest fish.

Once your spirits are up again, you can trade excess corals and fish and move onto other inhabitants.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
That's just devastating Nils :( I'm really sorry to read that :( I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that all the corals continue to take off and do wonderfully :) It's hard seeing your animals sick or injured so I can only imagine how tough this was.
Thanks Dom - it's hard to see a pet suffer, my Kole came with me from Aitutaki.
He will be missed.
I almost can't look at the tank right now but when I do I see some lovely bright things unaffected by the recent change of luck.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Omg. No. I am so sorry. If you remember I lost a lot of beloved fish with massive ich outbreak. We nearly gave up & sold. But it was all the kind people & words from this Reefuge family that kept me in this hobby. Please stay , don't do anything drastic. Sometimes in this hobby things suck. But you are a very caring reefer, would be an absolute shame if you didn't bounce back. :(
Yap I remember those days clearly Lesley. Was thinking about your outbreak when I wrote this post. As you know I post everything and wear my heart on my sleeve as if to learn and teach others in this hobby. By no means am I an expert or guru but listen carefully to others and share and grow wisdom as time passes.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Sorry to hear mate.

all the best with your remaining corals, but I'd probably just keep some really easy corals for a while, preferably ones that grow fast and spread quickly so you can get satisfaction out of them. I'd also suggest you put in one or two of your most favourite hardiest fish.

Once your spirits are up again, you can trade excess corals and fish and move onto other inhabitants.
Thanks buddy, the thing about this tank is its chock full of tank hardened SPS waiting for the day to be big enough to chop up and share with everyone. I have no wild caught pieces but hand me downs from others who have shared.... That's the way of the future and it's up to me to pass them along.

Still to early to think fish .... Can't even bring myself to water change today :-(

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Yap I remember those days clearly Lesley. Was thinking about your outbreak when I wrote this post. As you know I post everything and wear my heart on my sleeve as if to learn and teach others in this hobby. By no means am I an expert or guru but listen carefully to others and share and grow wisdom as time passes.
That's it. I think it's really important to talk about our failures as well, not just talk when things are good. As we both have found out. These things can happen even though we try out absolute best. I really do understand how your feeling. My heart really goes out to you right now. :(

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Have you introduced anything new recently?

It's not always possible, but it would be nice to work out what caused the problem so hopefully you can prevent it happening again.

A coral only tank could be nice for a while - when I eventually get around to setting my new tank up I am planning on only having 3-4 fish.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Have you introduced anything new recently?

It's not always possible, but it would be nice to work out what caused the problem so hopefully you can prevent it happening again.

A coral only tank could be nice for a while - when I eventually get around to setting my new tank up I am planning on only having 3-4 fish.
Five frags and dragon wrasse 3 weeks ago , 10 frags and clean up crew a week ago. Could be virus... The first fish showed no external symptoms.

lukusis

Sep 3, 2014
Sorry to hear Slin.

Ive got a super-aggressive-bastard-wont-die-in-a-holocaust ocellaris you can have :D

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Sorry to hear the sad news. Sometimes you have to go through the bad times to appreciate the good ones.

Oct 17, 2015
This is awful, but your not alone, we've all had our downs, I recently went through a spat where all my new fish died, I lost about 7, as @Lesley says it's good to talk about our failures too, that's how we learn, it hurts and makes us say forget it, I've nearly shut my tank down now three times, I'd say put it behind you now, and think of the future, maybe take a break from fish, have you considered a mantis or cleaner crew only

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Sorry to hear Slin.

Ive got a super-aggressive-bastard-wont-die-in-a-holocaust ocellaris you can have :D
Hey man- I just rated your post funny but then remembered how awesome my Picasso clowns were and then I got sad. No clowns for me just yet mate. ;)