Tank Journal Archive

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
This is awful, but your not alone, we've all had our downs, I recently went through a spat where all my new fish died, I lost about 7, as @Lesley says it's good to talk about our failures too, that's how we learn, it hurts and makes us say forget it, I've nearly shut my tank down now three times, I'd say put it behind you now, and think of the future, maybe take a break from fish, have you considered a mantis or cleaner crew only
Cheers, this is the second time in 12 years of saltwater fish keeping , after a bit of reflection this afternoon I've come back with something , just don't know what it will be yet. , I see a fully grown reef , in other words limited space, and now I am seeing not much room in the tank.

Mantis would be welcome.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Sorry to hear mate, your experience with anthias echos my constant struggle.

The mandy being the first off the ranks rules out a lot of common things, they are virtually parasite proof.

Ziggy

Jul 6, 2015
Adelaide
Am so wishing you success on your continuing journey. We often lament about the cost of this hobby and we sometimes even talk about what went wrong but we don't talk as much about how we feel when things go pear shaped. It is indeed a sad occasion when things dot go according to plan and the outcome can be heartbreaking.

I remember my first nano tank (my first wrong decision in that journey) which was supposed to be for my first seahorses. I purchased wild caught (my second wrong decision in that journey) and of course they died. I was utterly and completely heartbroken. I absolutely blamed myself and felt totally guilty about needlessly killing such beautiful creatures.

With that heartbreak behind me, I spent a year researching ponies, appropriate tanks and so forth and then spent 9 months designing and building the perfect seahorse system. My next lot of ponies (captive bred) were beyond amazing and brought a smile to me everyday. The smiles of success are such a contrast to the heartbreak of failure.

I wish you tonnes and masses and truckloads of smiles of success from here on in :)

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Am so wishing you success on your continuing journey. We often lament about the cost of this hobby and we sometimes even talk about what went wrong but we don't talk as much about how we feel when things go pear shaped. It is indeed a sad occasion when things dot go according to plan and the outcome can be heartbreaking.

I remember my first nano tank (my first wrong decision in that journey) which was supposed to be for my first seahorses. I purchased wild caught (my second wrong decision in that journey) and of course they died. I was utterly and completely heartbroken. I absolutely blamed myself and felt totally guilty about needlessly killing such beautiful creatures.

With that heartbreak behind me, I spent a year researching ponies, appropriate tanks and so forth and then spent 9 months designing and building the perfect seahorse system. My next lot of ponies (captive bred) were beyond amazing and brought a smile to me everyday. The smiles of success are such a contrast to the heartbreak of failure.

I wish you tonnes and masses and truckloads of smiles of success from here on in :)
Thanks Ziggy, that's very kind of you. Today is a new day and I feel better... dosed the tank this morning and left for work.... I am certain that there will be an hour or so spent on the tank tonight.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Thanks Dom - it's hard to see a pet suffer, my Kole came with me from Aitutaki.
He will be missed.
I almost can't look at the tank right now but when I do I see some lovely bright things unaffected by the recent change of luck.
It's heartbreaking mate, I know. Especially when you lose someone that's been along for the ride for such a long time!
I don't blame you, I'm glad to hear the sticks are holding some colours and going well, hopefully they'll enjoy themselves. Are you going to dose some aminos and such so they don't starve while you're fishless?
Once the tank has settled into being fishless, I'm sure I can work up a care package to head your way to cheer you up a bit :)

EDIT:
You're also not allowed to get out of the hobby, you're one of my inspirations so no disappearing on me alright!

Last edited:

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
It's heartbreaking mate, I know. Especially when you lose someone that's been along for the ride for such a long time!
I don't blame you, I'm glad to hear the sticks are holding some colours and going well, hopefully they'll enjoy themselves. Are you going to dose some aminos and such so they don't starve while you're fishless?
Once the tank has settled into being fishless, I'm sure I can work up a care package to head your way to cheer you up a bit :)

EDIT:
You're also not allowed to get out of the hobby, you're one of my inspirations so no disappearing on me alright!
Won't be disappearing mate.
Not quitting either.

The plan is to get in there and do a water change, I'm going to stir up the gravel and get the sock to catch all the gunk.

Still think there is plenty of nutrients for the coral so for now it's basics

Bac
Coral Vitaliser
Stones
Activated Carbon pellets
Keeping potassium at correct level.

Amino acids will wait until required - this will give a good indication on how much is required to affect the colour.
Still want to use the other Zeo products, I bought them right but the tank is giving feedback saying the rest of the products are not yet necessary.
image.jpg

jart

Apr 10, 2015
I have always admired your tank since joining this community.

Sad to hear about your losses, Nils .:cry

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Won't be disappearing mate.
Not quitting either.

The plan is to get in there and do a water change, I'm going to stir up the gravel and get the sock to catch all the gunk.

Still think there is plenty of nutrients for the coral so for now it's basics

Bac
Coral Vitaliser
Stones
Activated Carbon pellets
Keeping potassium at correct level.

Amino acids will wait until required - this will give a good indication on how much is required to affect the colour.
Still want to use the other Zeo products, I bought them right but the tank is giving feedback saying the rest of the products are not yet necessary.View attachment 51786
Well that's some news I'm happy to hear, you'd be missed too much!

I agree, I forgot you had zeo going lol you should be fine with managing it then, some really nice colours in the tank though :) I'll be interested to see if you think you need to add anything else down the line or if base zeo is capable of handling it :)