Tank Journal Archive

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Sad Update...
Hey Guys,

So it has been a while since I have updated this journal, things were just going so well and there wasn't too much that had changed although I was slowly moving towards setting up a dosing pump and looking to add a couple more fish.

I came back on the forum after a little break because works been chaotic, the day I started posting again and posted that I will be updating in the next day or so, about 2 hours after that....We had our first tank crash.

Tammy was home and saw the corals didn't look right and felt the water and it was really warm, she immediately disconnected the heater but by that stage I think the damage was done.

I have been back and forth with Neptune Systems in the US to try resolve the issue without having to RMA the unit, but looks like we will need to send through the Control module, not a big deal but annoying because it will mean we will need to recalibrate the PH and reprogram as I was stupid not to back up the unit.

Whilst a lot of people will think ahh this is why I didn't buy one, it was my fault for not doing one of the following:

1. Use a separate thermostat for extended security.
2. Program the APEX properly with its fallback settings, meaning if in case of a hardware or power failure what would you like this to do, I can picture the line I left out and knew something was missing but couldn't recognise it at the time.

So we lost a lot of nice pieces and a few pieces that Tammy enjoyed seeing grow, a lot of the pieces were just growing like crazy!

One (somewhat positive) thing that happened from the crash is, the duncan seems to have mass produced new heads lol, the elegance doubled in size and the snails bred instantly.

To get things back up and running Tammy did a 50L WC then we went and filled out 5x 25L drums where we bumped into @thepubenator who recommended some iodine to help revive some corals but by time we got home the damaged and settled in. We then changed out 75L then another 50L the next day.

We were somewhat lucky in a way, we lost a lof of the nice pieces and 2 cleaner shrimp and 2 starfish, however a few nice pieces still made it, the rics and the goldbar torch and one of the SPS survived, and so did the fish, since the crash things have never looked better (besides the gorg that I i keep knocking when cleaning the tank and breaking off a piece each time lol). Coraline has taken off again, maybe because there is less corals to consume it, I feel we were going to have one soon because I haven't bought a dosing pump yet and the KH/MAG/CAL were all low and the weekly 25L WC's weren't replenishing what was being consumed within the 7 days, so this has bought me more time, im lucky to have over purchased on corals (which im still selling off) so I have some nice pieces to go back into there once things settle, which they seem to be.

Below are the shots of how it progressed.

TankCrash (1).JPG

TankCrash (2).JPG

TankCrash (3).JPG

TankCrash (4).JPG

TankCrash (9).JPG

TankCrash (10).JPG

TankCrash (12).JPG

TankCrash (13).JPG

TankCrash (16).JPG

TankCrash (20).JPG

TankCrash (21).JPG

TankCrash (22).JPG

TankCrash (23).JPG

TankCrash (5).JPG TankCrash (6).JPG TankCrash (7).JPG TankCrash (8).JPG
TankCrash (14).JPG TankCrash (15).JPG TankCrash (17).JPG TankCrash (18).JPG TankCrash (19).JPG TankCrash (24).JPG
TankCrash (11).JPG

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
:) lol i was thinking that but was thinking from sams rate of funny that maybe there was something i didn't see

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Thanks guys, will hopefully be bigger and better soon.

Need some advice on what I should be dosing and stuff so you guys should keep an eye out to put your 2cents in

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
haha,,, wellll i just might have a spare zeo reactor that i could post you…
at the moment your system is a bit bisexual and all with the zeo and pellets, confused like Ricky Martin Circa 1998.

Lol what are you talking about Lance?? stop being so ZeoVit Illuminati and just give me the info you Mason lol

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Your tank was looking mint.
It's a pity we did not see more updates while you were busy working. All the best with the next version.
BTW what brand heater failed?

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
I'm happy to post you the reactor if you wanna get off the fence lol
I was just about to post and say that I am waiting on Elos to get back to me on a custom side cabinet for the tank so i can run a dosing pump and whatnot...which i have just realised I could also plumb in an Avast Vibe and actually run stones in there because I can then automate that reactor....then my dear friend you will have nothing to say to me other than.....................
7Jsw1lq.gif